New 5.0L Header Findings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5.0L Header Findings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I concur. Our header choices are an atrocity. That's why I'd be happy with cast logs if it meant no more leaks, more room and less heat under the hood. A little port matching and a DIY ceramic coating job should show some kind of improvement.

Hi-Po Manifolds collectors aren't close enough I'm afraid.

A Shorty Tri-Y style like the 2011 5.0L Headers in 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" primary offerings would be ideal.

Was playing with TMH's. These thing wont even sit flush. Hitting all over the place on some Holley Systemax heads. Can't even get the 2 piece primary pipes to connect flush!

0908161410_zpssi9s2ysq.jpg

0908161407c_zpsjlju6qx1.jpg

0908161406_zpscalfhviy.jpg

0908161404_zpshlbrvrqr.jpg

0908161401_zpsnrxyasbn.jpg

0908161406a_zpsugofgkcv.jpg

0908161404a_zpslcjdfzu4.jpg

Some shots of the headers on the new truck
0908161147a_zpsthywwxr3.jpg

0908161147_zpsyhgjb9rt.jpg

That's the other thing wrong with the TM design. They never intended them to be used for anything but a bone stock Explorer. They didn't care a bit about anyone else, plus they didn't give any concern for the other stock components nearby. Check out the clearance to other items, such as the AC box. They can and will melt if they see enough heat.

The factory collectors are located and oriented very poorly also. Any other possible header you can try will not work at all, simply due to the collectors. The collectors of the headers will have to be cut off, as well as the OEM cat pipe down pipes(collector connection). You will be fabricating some of the parts from the heads all the way to the cats.

I don't know that I have the answer, I just know that the original parts are awful, and removing them entirely is the answer. I will fabricate the exhaust completely from the bumper to the cat pipes, before dealing with the manifolds. I need to sneak up on that junk, and learn how to weld better.

Yes, on the stock heads there is a slight dimple which clears the #5 pipe flange. Most of us who used aftermarket heads, chose to remove a tad off the head, and a tad off the flange with a grinder.
I concur. Our header choices are an atrocity. That's why I'd be happy with cast logs if it meant no more leaks, more room and less heat under the hood. A little port matching and a DIY ceramic coating job should show some kind of improvement.

Hi-Po Manifolds collectors aren't close enough I'm afraid.

A Shorty Tri-Y style like the 2011 5.0L Headers in 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" primary offerings would be ideal.

Was playing with TMH's. These thing wont even sit flush. Hitting all over the place on some Holley Systemax heads. Can't even get the 2 piece primary pipes to connect flush

That's the other thing wrong with the TM design. They never intended them to be used for anything but a bone stock Explorer. They didn't care a bit about anyone else, plus they didn't give any concern for the other stock components nearby. Check out the clearance to other items, such as the AC box. They can and will melt if they see enough heat.

The factory collectors are located and oriented very poorly also. Any other possible header you can try will not work at all, simply due to the collectors. The collectors of the headers will have to be cut off, as well as the OEM cat pipe down pipes(collector connection). You will be fabricating some of the parts from the heads all the way to the cats.

I don't know that I have the answer, I just know that the original parts are awful, and removing them entirely is the answer. I will fabricate the exhaust completely from the bumper to the cat pipes, before dealing with the manifolds. I need to sneak up on that junk, and learn how to weld better.

Well, I agree, but it isn't a problem with the headers. The problem actually lies in the fact there is not enough demand

. If these had the aftermarket "need" that a mustang does, the problem would have been addressed. It doesn't make sense to tool up and sell 50 sets of headers-

Considering the TMH Group Buy Thread has almost 115,000 hits in 4.5 years on one thread on one site, I would think the market is there. There may be 50 people looking for them online now, but there is another 2,000 people who if they seen them in the Jegs catalog will order them up for their boat hauler, Prerunner Ranger or college offroad rig. Especially if under $400.

But really, easiest thing to do is wait until you see one for sale with TMH already on it. Sad but true.

True, but the first thing that came along was too hard to install for most people, and after that no one saw a need to build anything else. The low demand was the biggest problem, but TM made it worse with their unreasonable design. A simple log manifold could have been produced about 15 years ago, and by now would be out in numbers easily 100 times the number of TM's built. Of course pricing would have had to be feasible, not ridiculous like $700. A $250 simple set would have sold very very well, after some were installed and we spread the word. But now, the numbers of trucks still existing are far far less than 10 years ago. It's surely too late to develop something for mass production now.

Yes, on the stock heads there is a slight dimple which clears the #5 pipe flange. Most of us who used aftermarket heads, chose to remove a tad off the head, and a tad off the flange with a grinder.

Thanks again Turtle.

Do you happen to know where I can get a new donut gasket?

The TMH is the pics are actually going on the Centaurus which still has stock heads. I had me a Scat 347 with an X cam and Holley Systemax heads and intake sitting here in the garage last week and was debating to drop it in but it was more work and money than I wanted to deal with. Still would have needed injectors, fuel pump, MAM, getting it tuned, headers/heads modded, cam swap, new fluids all over again, indefinite down time of my DD etc..

Exhaust, Gears, Tune and a Shift Kit are plenty enough to wake these trucks up, IMO.

Donut gasket? Doesn't exist.

Interesting. Every ford I've taken apart in the last 16 years, including my 4, have been ball socket flanges

F150 Headers

Blazer502.jpg

Blazer503.jpg

Blazer504.jpg

You would obviously have to modify the passenger side collector, but mild steel is way better to weld than cast. Just 2 cuts and 1 seam weld. I think drivers side down pipe would still need to be modded for the 45 degree collector angle.

Once again, P heads would be double questionable due to plug clearances with these.

:drunk:
You're cut off VR4. lol

Talking about the round gasket for the #5 primary.
That's a flange gasket. I posted a part number and picture in the sticky thread.

This is a donut gasket
s-l300.jpg

Centaurus,

Check post #303 - #325 on the attached thread.

Might be what you are looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NP

Back