Pirelli Scorpion I-A/S's or A/T's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pirelli Scorpion I-A/S's or A/T's

First let me say thank you to all who have helped me come to a decision and let me tell all that this is going to be the last post on the tire matter! *yippee*

Okay, I am going to go with the Pirelli, unless someone has strong feeling against. *laugh* The only other tires in this area to choose from are Firestone (which everyone is trying to get me to put on the 94 Explorer), or Cooper, Goodyear and BFG's aren't big here and many places don't care stock.

The next challenge was finging a dealer for the Pirelli. The only places I found with the help of www.pirelli.com were Sears, Sam's Club and McCarthy's Machinery.

Anyway, the I-A/S and A/T are the two I am going to have to choose from. Does anyone have an pros or cons for either of those? I know this is getting old and I'm sorry for posting again.

I am leaning toward the I-A/S mainly because I do not do ANY off-roading in the Explorer. The I-A/S has an interesting feature according to www.tire.com .

"With its handsome white letters facing out, the Scorpion A/S... impressive braking capabilities in both wet and dry conditions... With its elegant black letters facing out, the Scorpion A/S's inherent talents for handling wet and snowy conditions are emphasized. But without sacrificing any of the tire's basic ride and handling characterisics. Better still, the results can be specifically felt in the Scorpion I's enhanced hydroplaning resistance and snow traction performance." This would mean that the tire in the winter would have to be mounted again.

The A/T on the other hand... "Aggressive, specialized tread pattern for grueling off-road excursions"... doesn't impress me too much sounds noisey and like it would be a bumpy ride like the one I am trying to get rid of right now, but ..."Strong performance on snow (m+s)" does impress me. It does say... "Improved ride comfort and reduced road noise "... which leads me to believe they were at one time REALLY noisey but now are a little quieter, but how much?

ahhhhh....

Does anyone have any thought ideas.. suggestions... oh someone just tell me which one to get... *laugh*

I will be calling for prices this lunch hour and making a decision tonight to get them on this weekend or the beginning of the week.

thanks
*almost got'em tires*
skittles

------------------
I'm just a girlie girl who *smiles* and *giggles* alot... *smiles*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a set of Scorpian A/T's at Sears and am very impressed with them. Low noise, great traction and comfortable ride.

I am waiting to hear from Sears right now about the availability of the Scorpin A/T.

Thanks *smiles*

------------------

Why don't you order them from Tire Rack and have them installed locally? I've done this many times and have always come out ahead!

How 'bout pull out a quarter and give it a shot. Heads for the AT and tails for the AS.

But as I read the other paragraph about performance of the I-A/S in wet/dry and then snow, it was a little confusing. If you have to remount them in the winter to get better snow traction, why not go with the AT so you don't have to pay twice every winter to have the tires remount. The AT is a better tire overall when compare to the I-AS

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 06-11-1999).]

Ahhhh... more decisions.... only one place carries or can get those in...

Either Pirelli AS, AT or BFG Trail TA...

Help!

I know I know.... which ever tire gets the largest yes I'll get... *laugh*

------------------

Thank you ALL for all your insight!!!

I got the Pirelli Scorpin AT, and I LOVE THEM!!!

Quiet and shake and wiggle and bumpity bumpity almost all gone. I do have to go back to the place that did the alignment and have them redo it. It started becoming really back the second day after the alignment was done. They better just fixed it and not make me pay for a whole other alignment!!!

Anyway... though you would like to know I got tires and I LOVE THEM!!

*smiles*
skittles
*lovin' the new ties!*

Back