• Register Today It's free!

PIU high beam not functional

nolaDre

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer PIU
Is there a known fix to get high beams back? 2017 PIU. When I pull the lever back I get nothing. How can I get my high beams functional?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you plugged in an obdii reader and see if anything pops up? Does the blue high-beam icon turn on when you pull back on the lever?

I have a cheap $10 obd2 scanner. No codes, do I need to look elsewhere? Yes, the blue light on the dash does turn on, but nothing happens with the lights.

Just checking all angles, so to speak. Youre sure the bulbs aren't blown? No damage to the wires?

Grab your $ 6 - 15 volts/ohms multi-meter from walmart, or the local hardware or auto parts store. Test for 12 volts in headlight bulb plug, and check the headlight ground continuity.

A suggested, the headlights might be old and the high beam filaments have failed. I am not familiar with the 2017 version, are there separate fuses or relays for the high and low beams ?

Are there any headlight wiring alterations, repairs, or additions from its previous service ?

Is there a known fix to get high beams back? 2017 PIU. When I pull the lever back I get nothing. How can I get my high beams functional?
It would seem unlikely that both high beams would fail at the same time. I believe the low beams are LED and the high beams are actual bulbs (9005LL). I don't see any fuses listed for the headlamps so I wonder if they are controlled by the BCM?
The best thing would be to take the bulbs out and check them.

Peter

I think I have to remove the entire assembly to check the bulbs? I have a mess of wires back there. When I bought the PIU, I had to leave it overnight so they could reconnect the wires for the horn.
20230131_145633.jpg
20230131_145727.jpg 20230131_145624.jpg 20230131_145627.jpg

Bulbs have a pretty standard life span, and one often fails shortly after the other.

You could always buy a cheap bulb and plug it in, if you don’t have a multimeter.

I think I have to remove the entire assembly to check the bulbs?..............................................
Not according to the manual. Page 198 shows you how to change a headlamp bulb. Should be a simple twist and turn.

Peter

My '17 has projectors. I read somewhere that they just raise the louvers on the lenses to get high beams. Not sure the truth to that, but might be something to look into.

My '17 has projectors. I read somewhere that they just raise the louvers on the lenses to get high beams. Not sure the truth to that, but might be something to look into.
The 2017 Interceptor like the 2017 retail unit has an LED low beam and a regular 9005LL bulb for the high beam as I mentioned in post #6.
My 2011 Explorer had the single bulb with the louvers. Beginning with the 2016 Explorer, they switched to the separate bulb system, One for low and one for high. I'm sure if you check your 2017 PIU you will find it has the 2 bulb system and that the low beam is LED just like my 2017 Platinum had. You if you check your Owner's Manual you will also see the different bulb specifications. You may want to have a look at the front of your vehicle. :)

Peter

I thought they were projectors. I didn't look at them too hard though.

I thought they were projectors. I didn't look at them too hard though.
Good thing you didn't. Those LED's will blind you!

My PIU has fog lights, but I don't have a switch for fog lights. Weird....

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

I wonder if they may have been installed by the upfitters to perform another function and the wiring was removed with all the other items when it was 'decommissioned'? :dunno:

Peter

I'm going to dig into when it isn't 20 degrees outside but honestly have no clue if they even have bulbs or wiring hooked up.

I'm going to dig into when it isn't 20 degrees outside but honestly have no clue if they even have bulbs or wiring hooked up.
They may be emergency lights ... Or just the housing.

And I see you got yours in Chicago. Hello, neighbor.

They are just the housing. There are no bulbs installed. I'm going to look into if I can add them. I'm guessing someone swapped it in. I like the look, but having them work would be nicer.
They may be emergency lights ... Or just the housing.

And I see you got yours in Chicago. Hello, neighbor.

They are just the housing. There are no bulbs installed. I'm going to look into if I can add them. I'm guessing someone swapped it in. I like the look, but having them work would be nicer.
If nothing else, getting the emergency lights model and putting in some strady-burn white in there would work well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back