• Register Today It's free!

High beam light problem

4x4man

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Last night I noticed the light starting to blink on and off, and now I got some weird problems with the lights.

The low beam only function with the headlight switch set to OFF, but then there is no lights in the instrument panel.
When I set headlight switch to ON no lights in front, but instrument panel lights up.

High beams only work when flash (when the lever is pulled toward the steering wheel).

All fuses are ok, but is there a relay making causing this problem or maybe the headlight switch?

Appreciate help how to sort this out?

Cheers
Frank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have auto lights or day time running laights?

ok looks like with the switch off your daytime running lamps will be on. so that part is normal. the fuses under the dash on the drivers side number 4 or 8 will be for the low beams right after the switch. turn the switch to headlights on and check for power at 4 or 8. could be either unless you know if you got a lamp out light. 4 is with out and 8 is with. if no power there then probablys going to be the switch or possible turn signal switch. if you got power there looks like there is a splice and my guess would be close to the headlights.

Figure 29 in the wiring diagrams is the one that applys for your truck

ok looks like with the switch off your daytime running lamps will be on. so that part is normal. the fuses under the dash on the drivers side number 4 or 8 will be for the low beams right after the switch. turn the switch to headlights on and check for power at 4 or 8. could be either unless you know if you got a lamp out light. 4 is with out and 8 is with. if no power there then probablys going to be the switch or possible turn signal switch. if you got power there looks like there is a splice and my guess would be close to the headlights.

Thanks for the support Rick :thumbsup:

Just checked the #4 and #8 fuses and there is no voltage on any of them when turning the headlamp switch to ON.
Wires to the headlamp switch checked ok.
When turning the switch it lights up the instrument panel and the roof console (outside temperature), but as mentioned no light except the parking lights.
Could it anyway be the headlamp switch that is broken or...?

Thanks for helping.
Frank

Lights working after replaced the (broken) headlamp switch :thumbsup:

Cheers
Frank

Back