• Register Today It's free!

PIU Wheels to XLT Wheels Swap

CommandPresence

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
Hello! I am looking at ordering some XLT wheels as I like the look of them more than the ones that came on my PIU.

Now, they are both 18x8, so my tires should be able to fit fine. However, I am concerned about TPMS compatibility...

If I go from the black steel wheels to the aluminum, does anyone know if they will fit the same?

(My wheels/caps are for sale as well if anyone is interested)

s-l1600.jpg

sl500.jpg

20170412_213125.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the lugnuts? Are you selling them as well since they are required to hold the caps on?

Peter

Yes, lugnuts would be included in the sale. I am hoping someone can chime in and confirm/deny I can swap the tpms into new wheels.

I can't confirm what type of TPMS is used on those wheels. On the Crown Vic's, it was a generic sensor that was held with a metal band that was fastened around the inside of the wheel itself.

I'd either check some online Ford parts diagrams or check on eBay. All kinds of late model Explorer wheels for sale on there that might give you an insight into the TPMS situation.

Yes, lugnuts would be included in the sale. I am hoping someone can chime in and confirm/deny I can swap the tpms into new wheels.
I'm guessing a Ford dealer's parts department should know.
Just looking at Fordparts.com it seems the same TPMS sensor is used with a variety of wheels.

Peter

Thanks guys! Looks like I will be moving forward with the swap pending a buyer for the police wheels.

TPMS should fit just fine, as long as you get the correct frequency. I don't know what that frequency is, however. You will also need new lug nuts, as well.

TPMS should fit just fine, as long as you get the correct frequency. I don't know what that frequency is, however. You will also need new lug nuts, as well.
Non PIU Explorers all seem to use 315Mhz. The VIN can always be checked on ford ETIS if they show PIU info that is.

Peter

None PIU Explorers all seem to use 315Mhz. The VIN can always be checked on ford ETIS if they show PIU info that is.

Peter
Correct, according to Ford parts its 315mhz.

None PIU Explorers all seem to use 315Mhz. The VIN can always be checked on ford ETIS if they show PIU info that is.

Peter

I have aftermarket wheels on my '13 XLT. If I take the TPMS units now in the aftermarkets and transfer to different rims, is there anything extra I need to do? Should I keep them in the same orientation?

I believe same orientation and going out to drive for a few minutes, the car will pick them up and it'll relearn itself. I'm going to a tire shop I'm familiar with to do the swap. I'll make sure they relearn them prior to me leaving. If we had the sensors that tell us the PSI on each tire in the cluster, I think it'd be a different situation.

I have aftermarket wheels on my '13 XLT. If I take the TPMS units now in the aftermarkets and transfer to different rims, is there anything extra I need to do? Should I keep them in the same orientation?
When I bought the Interceptor wheels for Winter driving the invoice line for the TPMS contained the word "kit". I'm not sure if that consisted of anything more than the 4 sensors or not. As far as orientation goes, I don't believe it matters since the pre 2016 system doesn't recognize the sensor positions. As CommandPresence mentioned, there have been several posts stating that the system will pick up the sensors after a period of driving.

Peter

Back