Plane Crash World Trade Center | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plane Crash World Trade Center

I enlisted Apr last year, Im in Afghanistan now, have fun :D (where are you going for basic?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I enlisted in the Navy on August 24 2001. 18 days before the attack. I was in boot when it happened.
Congratulations on joining. It'll have it's moments, but overall it's a great experience.:salute:

I watched all of it live while waiting to be interviewed for my current job. It is still hard for me to watch the tapes. I never told my wife that I had contacted the recruiters (She would have a fit) but they politely told me that I had already served and that the younger folks would have to handle this one. God bless all of you who have stepped up to the plate since then and never forget the souls that will never come home.

It doesn't seem like ten years to me either. I am glad the TV outlets are showing what happened on that day unfiltered and with all the horrific details. I look around me and see so many people that don't remember that day because they were too young to understand, or remember, the gravity of the events. As each year passes this group of people will grow. It is important that they understand the evil that was unleashed on that day and the pain it caused, and has continued to cause, for so many people. In many ways we are fortunate that these horrific acts are so well documented. Hopefully this will allow future generations to not forget the lessons that were learned from this tragedy along with the heroism and self sacrifice of so many people.

10 years ago and I can still remember how I was feeling when I started this thread. Wow.

It was a rough day here. My dad had a heart attack and passed 3 days before. Gerald and I were watching it on tv, as we dressed to go to our fathers funeral.

Hard to believe it's been a decade already. Loved watching the documentary on the making of the 9/11 Memorial. Def was worth the money that was invested in it. Still have it on my DVR and watched it last night while surfing ExplorerForum

Bumping this thread in remembrance of the worst day.

:salute:

This year's anniversary was pretty rough for me. I read through this thread from the first post, remembered where i was and what i did. I found myself going through my footlocker that i keep everything about my service in. While on deployments, i kept a logbook of all the ordnance we dropped, not as a memento but as history. i talked to the pilots and got the story leading up to the expenditure or munitions that i myself was a part of loading onto their jet, that i was the last person to touch as i gave my final inspection and go ahead, that I armed.

I read through my book, and came across a letter that my CO took his time to write to me. because he knew why i was there, doing my job. and i want to share it.

It reads,

Memorandum

From: Commanding Officer, Strike Fighter Squadron Two Five
To: AO2 (AW) Giordano, USN

On 20 August 2009, national elections were held in Afghanistan. These free elections were a vital step in Afghanistan's continued development as a democratic nation; a clear symbol of freedom. Because of this, we knew chances were high that Taliban forces would be attacking in force in an attempt to harass voters and disrupt the general election.

Myself and LT ***** were in the second wave of fighters over the beach that day; our call signs were "RUMBLE 41" and "RUMBLE 42." After the usual hour-plus flight over Pakistan and into Afghanistan, we topped off our fuel from a tanker stationed over south-central Helmand province. While we were refueling, I received an urgent radio transmission from the agency that handles all fighter traffic designated to provide close air support. The agent had an immediate request for air support from British forces in the area. Election officials in on of the towns in the province were receiving fire from Taliban forces concealed in a tree line just outside the town. UK forces were in the town to augment the security during the morning's election and were attempting to move the election officials from the town back to the UK compound where they could safely count the ballots.

LT ***** and I established a wheel over the town and contacted the Joint Tactical Air Controller (JTAC) on secure radio. The voice on the other end of the radio had a distinct ****ney accent; a strange sound so far from London's East end. At the time, the JTAC and the squad of soldiers protecting the election officials had exited the walled town and were moving down an open road back toward the British base. They were under fire from the nearby tree lines and a smaller village that ran along the road they were traveling down.

The JTAC called for a "Cannon attack", using 20mm cannon fire, targeting on of the tree lines in order to suppress or neutralize the Taliban forces firing on his squad.

It took some time to pinpoint the exact location of the forces: there were numerous tree lines along the road, and the specific location of the Taliban forces was in one very small grove, no more than 50 meters long. compared to some of the longer tree lines, this on was tiny. A few minutes elapsed before LT ***** and I were sure we had the location of the enemy forces. The JTAC gave me a specific final attack heading, as the potential for collateral damage was high if i missed with the strafing attack.

Uncharacteristically, the British JTAC came across the radio in an excited voice and said, "Look, these people have just voted, at great risk to themselves. We need to get this lot (The Voters) back to our base so they can count these ballots." I had never before heard a Brit get excited on the radio, but apparently watching the election, under such adverse circumstances, incited greater emotion than we would typically hear on the radio.

As I called "IN" on the radio i cross-checked my forward looking infra-red targeting pod (FLIR) and aligned my jet for the attack. I had the tree line centered on the display and had used the pod's zoom function to keep a close eye on the tree line. The reality of a strafing attack is that you have to get your eyes on the real target outside; it is literally visual combat. As i rolled in, the size of the tree line made it just a little larger than the dot that was in the center of my gun sight. As i called "RUMBLE FOUR - ONE IN," I got a :Cleared HOT, Cleared HOT, Cleared HOT," from the British JTAC. I was in range, accelerating toward the target, when I gave a smooth pull on the trigger, and in a one second burst the M-61A1 cannon in the nose of my jet burped out 100 rounds. pulling off-target, I rolled up on a wing and saw the rounds impacting the area; the trunks and limbs splintering as my rounds smashed through the trees. The rounds we were using were high-explosive and the small tree line was virtually a "point target" which means it is very small, so all the bullets hit in a highly concentrated stream of fire. the result was an immediate cessation of fire from the Taliban forces in the tree line. They had ceased to exist.

I hope this story gives you some insight into the struggle our forces, and the people of Afghanistan, face daily in the battle to free the nation from the oppression and terror of the Taliban. May it motivate and inspire you to face the challenges of future naval conflicts and support the great cause of freedom.

Sincerely,
Commanding Officer,
Strike Fighter Squadron Two Five

Reading this made me remember watching the video associated with that day and the long talk i had with my CO after being presented with this Letter. Talking about the importance of keeping focused on the job ahead, and remembering why we do what we do. Remembering the risk the voters took, They would vote by putting their finger into purple dye, and mark the candidate they vote for. The Taliban would seek these voters out and cut their purple dyed fingers off for believing that there might be a better way.
To just remember, to never forget, not for justification of why things happened the way they did, but to appreciate the day that the world stood still and how in one way or another, it changed us all.

Its late,
I think i can get some sleep now.

20120912_230203.jpg

Hell of a story Dano. Thank you for your service:chug::usa:

I agree with Rick, thank you for sharing and for your service!

Thank you guys for your support. :)

A lot of people do not realize that the basic acknowledgement from someone you don't know is worth a tremendous amount to troops who return home from overseas. weather they are the guys with guns in their hands or the supply clerk making sure there are bullets for those guns. Everyone will appreciate and deserves a pat on the back, support and a welcome home.

When we leave to go on deployment for the most part our world slows down, all of our focus and attention is pointed in a different direction, and when we return home the fact of the matter is the world moved on while we were gone. new songs on the radio, new cars, new cell phones, and for many people coming back from an initial deployment its kind of a shock.

I remember my first homecoming in 2006, within one hour of leaving the ship, i was in a fist fight at Inn-N-Out Burger. i had told my family that all i wanted was a nice burger. I had decided to stay in my dress uniform for the return home, and an older teenager had said "Nice Costume" and i just beat the crap out of him. Which i am not proud of.

I guess what i am trying to say is, the first ones are usually the worst ones, and there is an adjustment period for those who come back from any real high tempo environment. but to hear someone on the street, or someone on the phone just tell you thank you, Welcome home. its the best. and i encourage anyone running into any service member to pass it along.

Thanks again,
-Dano:salute:

A bump for 2013.

Never forget...

Crazy how much this continues to feel like yesterday.

:salute: to all those affected by this grave tragedy, and to all our uniforms out there from first repsonders to the elite forces thank you all!!!!!

:usa:Back to the top for the 14th anniversary.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never forget.

Back