Please give feedback on my rocker panel plans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please give feedback on my rocker panel plans

Hey all, I searched the threads here and watched some videos on youtube but I have a few remaining questions before I start. If I buy the full OEM rocker panel replacements (here) do I need the dog leg as well? The replacement looks like it includes the full dog leg except for just a bit at the top, which my explorer doesn't need. And since they are already painted, should I worry about repainting and properly clear-coating these pieces if I don't cut or scrape any paint off?

Here's my plan: First I will cut out or scrape off all rust, and seal any exposed metal with Eastwood rust encapsulator. As you can see in my first image, an area on the "inner" rocker panel is deteriorating (or is it called the uniside? The large panel which the true rocker panel attaches to). It's maybe 2 feet long, the rest of the inner panel seems ok. I can fab a strip to cover that area so the bottom of the replacement panel has something to attach to. I'll paint that inner strip, then attach it with 3M panel bond and rivets. Finally I plan to slip the entire replacement panel on top of the old panel's remains, and again use 3M panel bond and rivets.

My thinking is I don't have a welder available, and if I use the entire replacement panel without cutting it, it would just look like a straight black stripe which I wouldn't mind since my front bumper is black too. That saves me time from cutting it and sanding/repainting it. It's not a show car anyway. But is there anything I'm getting wrong?

thumbnail_20210828_221830.jpg

thumbnail_20210828_222117 (1).jpg

thumbnail_20210828_221918.jpg

Btw I don't expect anymore rust on these panels. The underbody is bad but that happened when this vehicle lived in the north. I brought it down to central texas and what caused the rocker panel rust was my rear door weatherstripping going bad and letting rain accumulate there while I was away.

Back