please help me stuck in 4x4 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help me stuck in 4x4 ?

Tazkb

Reaction score
City, State
Bolton Lancashire UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok so my 97 4.0L Explorer is stuck in 4 wheels high, my mate came round yesterday to have a go at fixing it or if not being able to fix it to leave it in 2 wheel drive so I can at least use it, as i'm disabled and need the truck.
he got as far as removing the 4x4 motor to find the plate behind it, a quick look on here showed a picture of the plate but mine is different, mine has on it
4 hi, 4 low and neutral ? anyway with the back end jacked up we operated the motor which worked fine on the interior switch, which says Auto, 4 high and 4 low, he couldn't see any other motor i.e. one for the transfer box. so I need the following help please.
1: a picture of the transfer box or better still and exploded diagram
2: any information of how to disengage the 4 wheel drive, leaving the truck in 2 wheel drive, without removing the prop shaft. ? please
it seems like the 4x4 is stuck in without the truck knowing it ? because the 4x4 light only comes on inside the truck when I physically switch it to 4x4 high, when it's in Auto the light stays out ? and when I switch it it just comes on, no flashing just comes on. everything else works ok (well except the blend door on the heater) I believe there is a solanoid that activates the 4x4 high but where is it located ?
if someone can please help me and my mate solve this problem I will be eternally greatfull as it's driving us mad and without the truck it's making life difficult.
thank you
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On your case, 4wd is not engaged by the shift motor, only high and low range.
The single brown wire going into the back of the case is what engages 4wd.

Search for the Brown Wire Mod and read up on it, that will explain how it works a little better.

Tsb 97-21-15

This may help:

Article No. TSB
97-21-15

10/13/97

^ SHUDDER OR BINDING SENSATION - IN TIGHT
TURNS WHILE VEHICLE IS IN 4X4 AUTO MODE -
VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH APRIL 1997

^ TRANSFER CASE - SHUDDER/BINDING SENSATION
IN TIGHT TURNS WHILE VEHICLE IS IN 4X4 AUTO
MODE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH APRIL 1997

LIGHT TRUCK:
1995-97 EXPLORER
ISSUE:
A shudder or binding sensation in tight turns while in 4X4 Auto Mode may be experienced on some vehicles. The shudder is due to a high torque output from the clutch in some transfer cases.
ACTION:
Recalibrate the existing Generic Electronic Module (GEM) if the GEM is identified with engineering part number F77B-14B205-BB. The revised calibration commands a lower torque which allows the transfer case clutch to engage smoother so shudder or binding should not result. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
Using Service Bay Diagnostic System (SBDS) machine, use the latest software release to recalibrate the GEM to command a lower minimum torque level from the transfer case. Follow the instructions below:

1. Select "Body, Chassis, Electrical" from the SBDS Main Menu.
2. Enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle being serviced and continue to the "Body, Chassis, Electrical" menu.
3. Select "Module Reprogramming" under the "Category" scroll box, and "Module Reprogramming" under the "Tool" scroll box.
4. Follow all on-screen instructions, continue to "Module Reprogramming Procedure" screen and select "GEM Module, Shudder in 4X4 Auto Fix, 4X4 Auto Fix."
5. Again, continue and follow all on-screen instructions until the GEM module has been reprogrammed.
6. A copy of the log can now be printed to document what has been done to the vehicle.

If the new calibration does not satisfactorily resolve the concern, refer to TSB 97-3-14 for additional corrective actions.

sorry for the delay not been very well.
can I not pull a fuse to cut the power and set the truck into 2 wheel drive ?
thanks
keith

I am not familiar enough to say whether you can pull a fuse. This might disable some other key circuits as well. My problem was corrected when the dealer perform the work outlined in the TSB. This was easier for me. Good luck.

If you pull the 4x4 shift motor from the transfer case you should be able to stick a finger in there and move the selector to neutral or the equivalent. The motor that selects between 4-hi and 4-lo works by a worm screw that can fail to catch when its teeth wear. A replacement motor can be had for a little more than $100, or you can just pull one from a junk yard like I did for $10 and splice the wires in.

Thanks guys
if you remove the shift motor you end up with neutral that's it. we looked for wires going into the transfer box, we cut a grey wire, it did nothing, we re attached said wire, we found a brown wire under the passenger seat, cut that and nothing, we re attached it,
we have been told to cut a wire into the tranny box and we can't find any wire either to cut or unplug ? we are totally stumped, as the 4 wheel drive is locked in by an electro magnetic clutch there must be a way to cut power to it but we are totally lost with it. thing is it only binds when you turn real slow, normal driving makes no odd noise at all ?
the other thing is the ABS light is on all the time which it wasn't before the problem started. now I know the ABS sensors are part of the 4x4 system so whether the 2 are linked is another matter ? the whole thing is making me wish i had never bought this car, unless someone can show me a picture or diagram of which wire i need to cut then i will be scrapping the car very soon
thanks

Back