PLEASE help me with a 5R55E trans. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE help me with a 5R55E trans.

Scottemo

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck N.D.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hi all, I have been looking at this forum for awhile and now I am frustrated with my local Ford dealer. My 5R55E XL2P DA trans is slow going into 1st and Reverse. I want to replace the Valve body separator plate and the Ford dealer said I have to buy the $1000 valve body because it isn't a separate item. Well I gave him the part # 1L5Z 7Z490A and told him that this is what I want to get. After 5-10 minutes of looking he said that maybe he could get it. When I asked him what other service kits I need he said that he was kinda busy and to come back later.
I have looked at the article about doing this repair on this site and have to say it is a well written and informative, but really want to know is what parts I need to get.

Where can I get Ford OEM or good replacement parts online?
What else should I replace while I am in the transmission. Maybe the EPC valve?
Any TSB's numbers pertaining to this trans would be helpful. The dealer was tight lipped about this.

The trans tag is a 5R55E XL2P DA. Winter is fast approaching and I would like to get this done before snow. Any help finding a good website to buy these parts of good quality would be great.

The SUV is a 2000 Explorer sport 4X4 2 door with 160,000 miles
Thanks a lot Scott.

no longer available

When I entered 1L5Z 7Z490A into a search on Tasca Parts website it was not found. That usually means the part is no longer available and not superseded by another part. Below are the parts I replaced:

XL2Z 7L491 AA Plate (still available $7.12)
1L5Z 7Z490 HA Plate - CO (still available $28.24)
3L5Z 7M203 JA Valve ASY Kit (still available $28.71)

The price for the last two above have doubled in three years.

I also replaced the reverse servo O rings with D rings from Transmission Parts USA. See 5R55E shift saga for more information.

Back