Is a 5R55E trans auto in a 2X4 the same as a 5R55E from a sport 4X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a 5R55E trans auto in a 2X4 the same as a 5R55E from a sport 4X4

mechomancer

Reaction score
City, State
Ada Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0 2wd EB
I'm obviously missinformed and i need folks who know there fords like you guys to set me strait. I have 2 explorers one is a 1999 4 door 2x4 EB with auto trans the other is a 4x4 sport with 2 doors <three as some call it> with auto trans <currently missing>.
I have asked several peps who should be in the know but i have gotten SEVERAL diffrent things told to me. I would like to take the trans out of the 99 EB 2x4 and put it in the other 4x4. Here is the issue.. Is a 5r55e <As it has been made clear to me that both take the same trans> diffrent between 2x4 and 4x4??
I have been told both are the same and that the tail shaft just needs to be removed and the transfer added..
I have been told that the 5r55e has a T1 and T2 as in type 1 and type 2 and that 2x4 is one 4x4 is the other.
our third veh and only one running since the EB front right ball joint snapped on me doing 60 down the highway and ran me into another veh sitting on the side of the road has recently scarfed a rod and is now dead i have no running veh. Rather than tear apart the EB and take the trans out not knowing if i could get it in the sport i did the lesser of two evils and got on rockauto and ordered the baljoints and control arms to repair the front of the running but wrecked EB 2x4. Boss bought me the sport after the wreck.
SOO
How about someone getting me the right info and some pics IS THE 5R55E auto trans the same in iether 2x4 and 4x4 and if so how do you make the auto from a 4 door 2x4 fit in a 2 door sport 4x4 as they both have the same 4.0 engines and i do have shafts and transfer case for the sport 4x4. HELP A FELLOW FORD BROTHER OUT PLEASE!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

both transmissions are the same except a 4wd transmission will not work with a 2wd truck nor will a 2wd transmission work on a 4wd truck. they will both bolt up to the motor of course, but the tailshaft housing if different...im not sure if you can swap them from a 4wd onto a 2wd...ive never read into that... heres a few pics of 2wd/4wd transmissions. as you can see the 4wd transmission has to bolt up tot he transfercase...

5r555e 4x4 trans:
4R55E.jpg

2wd trans:
A4LD_trans.jpg

someone with more knowledge will chime in sometime with more info, but they are not a direct swap. good luck

Because the extension housings (tailshafts) are different lengths so are the output shafts. As I recall in order to replace the output shaft the entire transmission must be disassembled.

when i was looking for 5speeds i was told you could swap the housing on them (needed a tranny that had the bolt bosses for the t-case) but i didnt think the 2/4wd's could be swapped

i think your best bet would be finding a new transmission? those transmissions are usually pretty easy to come by...sadly there are a ton of explorers sitting in the junk yards. and 95% of explorers are 4x4 automatics

You can upload pictures of 4x2 please 5R55E

Back