Please help, power problem. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help, power problem.

So im hoping that the power problem is now fixed... started right up after sitting a week, here is the new 0 gauge wire, soldered terminals, 200amp ANL fuse.. and shorter wire from ANL fuse to battery... so im guessing the two blown fuses, the bad alternator wire.. so now all good

AltANLBattery.jpg

AltANL.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

motor was only cranked for like 5 mins, and i put the flash light near it (thought i smelled smoke, but ended up being neighbors) and i could feel the heat on the casing. so i touched it, yanked away very quickly, very hot to the touch.

Ok so talked to the mechanic friend of mine. He said normal cause its an HO alternator and since I did a big wire it was letting as much juice flow as possible.. so cool... been starting every time now.. YAY!

So im gonna recap for readers that read this and need help..

Fixed my problems by doing the following.

Multiple Battery checks till it showed the bad cell... This can be done a few ways, fully charged, have it tested. Then run it home, turn lights and radio on but not car, let it sit for 15 mins, run it back to have it check. This makes it check different cells..

Negative cable had corrosion on the inside, replaced it, and added a 0ga wire to the body.

Stock alternator wire was trashed but with the fusible link you couldnt see that without cutting it open, so I did the BIG 3 upgrade during this project/problem and now have a 0 ga Wire with ANL fuse (higher fuse then alternator) and still working good! (dont go smaller then 4 ga)

A/C relay and Fuel Pump Relay was stuck open draining the battery, replaced them.

2 Fuses under dash was blowed (well one blew one fried) replaced them havent had any POWER problems (other problems) for a while now!

Back