Please help, power problem. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help, power problem.

No cause in all honesty... im fn lost when it comes to using multi meters... reading them and setting them etc... I checked and replaced all fuses in both location that were bad. Power Wire from Alt to fender, fender to battery are new. 0 gauge ground from battery to a ground on the fender, replaced small ground from battery to (i forgot), checked the ground from battery to frame, looked decent. anl fuse between alt to fender is good. aux lights are off, radio is off, lights wipers heater are off... nothing in cig lighter

oh yeah.. even tried this... screw driver from power point to starter point on the fender solenoid...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5760112_dor_85357_pri_larg.jpg

ok see the weird looking symbol next to 9V batt, see the 200 next to the weird symbol? put it on that 200.

test it first, touch both tips together. it should read numbers then settle at something, mine stayed at 0.03. once you figued all that out you can test the cables.

touch one end to the ground cable on the battery and the other to every grounding point the cable goes to.

Let me make sure I got it right. Black prong in bottom hole, red prong in middle hole?

Then set it to 200 ohm, touch the red prong to the negative cable at the battery post, and then the black prong to all the ground out points.

Is that right? if so.. as soon as it stops raining ill be able to run out and try that.

Yes. It also doesn't matter which lead you touch where, the red to battery, it doesn't matter, either works.
While its raining, test it out. Touch both leads together and see what you get, touch random objects like a fork and see what you get. Then you'll see how it works

im sooo not playing with electrical current in the rain and sleet and 42* weather (where did summer go). but i did run out today and tried the key again.. battery is still good.. so i think i found the main drain... now its just the starting issue.

im sooooooooooo ready to scream... so i go out first thing this morning.. checked to make sure battery still good.. its good.. did not drain.. so im thinking yay i fixed the drain when i fixed the two fuses..

go up to adv. talk to the guy, he said it sounds like my fender mounted starter solenoid since it wont jump across and since i upgraded size of wires... plus since i added gas (just never to sure).

hurry home cause i have to install it while kids and wife are at karate practice.. get old off, new in, all nice and tight (the way i like it :D) and turn the key.................. rather do dots then tell you what i really said... same noise as before!!!! still nothing, notta..

try the test! sit in your house, touch the tips together, touch random metal things, just to test it out. then go check your grounds.

it can never hurt to check your wires. i spent a month just about getting my efan to work, in the end a power wire had came uncrimped! i wouldnt have noticed if it wasnt for noticing there was no continuity on the wire and then yanking on it

Ok so this has been a loooonnnggggg battle!!! went out, checked plugs n wires, all good.. sprayed wither starter fluid, its putted twice thats it... had to leave to go a few places and while we were out this is my conversation with my wife

Me: "Hey lets think of the obvious, Oil Good, Rad Fluid Good, tranny fluid good, has gas, new starter solenoid, new wires from alt to battery etc"

Wife: "you know you had something like this last year happened and you hit this black box thingy under the hood cause you were pissed and the truck started"

Me:"S O B why couldnt you remind me of that earlier..."

So we ran home.. she jumped in the ex, i got near the gas tank, no fuel pump wine!!! Swapped the Fuel Pump Relay with the AC relay and wowza... started right up!! SOOOOOOOOOO back to a NEW electrical problem...

I noticed when I swaped out A/C to Non A/c that my Alternator wire between the ANL fuse and Starter Solenoid was burned up at the ANL fuse... so i replace it (its a 4 ga oxygen free wire) well when she got it to start and i was at the motor, the wire burned up again at the damn ANL fuse....

what causes this?!?!

alts.jpg

Sorry not to good at paint, the Gold/Yellow is the ring terminals, they have rubber around them but where they connect to the rods.

The green would be bare stripped back wire connected into the ANL fuse and Battery Terminal.

The one circled in blue is the one that keeps burning up, right there where its circled and now where else :icon_confused:

I checked all that, saw no nicks no frays, or strays. The ring terminals have their rubber boots around them and taped so only metal showing is what attached to where it suppose to be. He is the pic of the ANL holder and Fuse.

if itll stop raining i can get a pic of what it looks like now, for now here is the stock one.
anl.jpg

I would just try a 0 gauge wire... but damn thats expense wire to just be experimenting with.

Ok updated pics

ANL fuse holder w/ fuse in (straight outa truck)
ANL1.jpg

Closer look at wire (i was wrong, its the wire going into the ANL fuse holder coming from the Alternator)
ANL2.jpg

cover slid off, can see the burn damage
ANL3.jpg

the fuse didnt just POP it FRIED
ANL4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol yea i saw it labeled wrong as soon as i saw the pic, i just needed total footage from start to end, thanks!

now i just gotta find that connector

Back