• Register Today It's free!

Please Help, quick question!

MiZZ

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
hello everyone! I have a little problem and i've searched for the past 2 hours and can't really get an answer.

here goes

installing my deck, I've installed many decks so this isn't a question about HOW... I got the old one pulled out fine, etc.. I bought a wiring harness said it would fit my 92 explorer, the power wire harness did (12v. acc., ground etc) but the harness for the speakers is WAY off.

so my questiom, the harness that's way off, (the factory) wire is just a single thick gray coatedwire... aside from the power. ground etc wires this gray wire is the only other wire, no colored speaker wires that i can find.... so are my speaker wires all bundled together inside of that gray wire? If so, is it fine if i just cut it and wire the appropriate wires to the the leads from the deck? will the colors be marked on the individual wires, or will it be bare wire?

anyways.. it's FREEZING out and i have my dash ripped apart and i just want it to be done LOL i've installed a bunch of decks in my old cars so thats not a problem, i'm just confused how this single thick gray wire is going to wire up to my speakers leads.. PLEASE HELP! :-D

thanks!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just to add, i'm not sure weather or not my explorer is equiped with JBL premium sound... I have the stock HU in my hands right now it does say DNR in small letters on the cassette flap... but it doesn't say JBL or premium sound on it anywhere nor does it say it anywhere on my speaker panels... that and considering the truck at the moment has ZERO bass, i highly doubt it has a subwoofer LOL.... anyways either or if it has it or not i'm not worried, i'm willing to run it thru the factory amp rather than bypassing it..... for now..

I just need to know if all my speaker wires are budled up together in that single thich gray wire which my aftermarket harness didn't fit.... i'd rather ask before i cut it to take a look and be sorry!

-Mike

Sorry I can't be of more help.. but the stock AMP is located in the passenger side Trunk space as pictured below..
18205Right_side_primed.jpg

so its not really visible unless you remove the rear interior panel, is there anywhere to tell if you have one without all of that?

thats not really my concern, my concern is how i can wire my speaker leads up, even if it has an amp i'm willing to just run it thru the factory amp for now and do a bypass harness and all at a later time.... if possible, hopefully!

the gray wire i'm talking about does somewhat look like one of the gray wires going to the amp in that picture though... in thickness.

so its not really visible unless you remove the rear interior panel, is there anywhere to tell if you have one without all of that?

thats not really my concern, my concern is how i can wire my speaker leads up, even if it has an amp i'm willing to just run it thru the factory amp for now and do a bypass harness and all at a later time.... if possible, hopefully!

the gray wire i'm talking about does somewhat look like one of the gray wires going to the amp in that picture though... in thickness.

If you fold the Right rear seat forward you should be able to see the wire harness going to the factory amp (lift up the spring loaded cover plate). On the right (passenger) side of the vehicle this wire bundle is for the AMP, on the left (driver's) side these wire are for the 4x4 computer, washer rely, r def, r lock).

So if you have a wire bundle on the right you have a stock AMP.

seems like i do have the stock amp, not a problem i'll re-wire it all but for now i just want to put my cd player in, my stock cassette player just isn't cutting it LOL.

so if i cut the thick gray wire behind the deck with the square plug at the end of it,, all 8 speaker wires are bundled inside? are they individually colored as to make it easy to identify them to tap them into my deck?

sorry for the re-occuring question.. I'd hate to cut it and have it turn out to just be a single wire then i'd be stuck without any music on the 40min ride to work tomorrow morning!! oh no! haha

-Mike

You need a different harness, I wouldn't cut the cable. They make a harness for that type of connection.

I have pics at the top of the page of some first gen harnesses. Pay no attention to the middle. The hard drive ate it somehow and I didn't notice it until I had it uploaded

http://www.ericksaint.com/explorer/wire_info/ford_wiring.htm

nice that explains it EXACTLY!!!

can anyone reffer me to a link to the power/acc. ground etc colors, because i'm sure this aftermarket harness is way off on those as well.

in other words, are these all correct?

1992 Ford Explorer Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue

in other words, are these all correct?

1992 Ford Explorer Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue

Mizz, look on the back of the HU plug. You will find there the information you seek. BTW, if you are not planning to upgrade the speakers I recommend bypassing the amp. I pulled mine out completely. It's really simple to remove the interior quarter panel - did it in about 15 minutes.

Good luck.

Mizz, look on the back of the HU plug. You will find there the information you seek. BTW, if you are not planning to upgrade the speakers I recommend bypassing the amp. I pulled mine out completely. It's really simple to remove the interior quarter panel - did it in about 15 minutes.

Good luck.

I must admitt i didn't even see the little sticker on the plug with the colors on it HAHA now i feel dumb! :D sorry about that!

anyways I ended up splitting the gray cable, thanks to the link you gave me i have all the speakers wired up correctly... one last question, in the gray cable theres the 8 colored speaker wires, and then theres on single non coated expored wire... what should i do with this wire, is it needed or is it fine just to cut and tape it off?

about speakers, I have some nice pioneers and tweeters that will be going in there as soon as this is all hooked up! and yes i definetly plan to remove the amp as well, as i have a an amp for my mid/highs, as well as the lows (sub amp).

thanks again for the help! I'm probably going to make a 'write up' to help other people who may want to do this 'ghetto' way of wiring it LOL because I've never had so much of a hard time getting speaker wire codes for any previous vehicle, it's like it's a secret amoung explorer owners only.

-Mike

I must admitt i didn't even see the little sticker on the plug with the colors on it HAHA now i feel dumb! :D sorry about that!

anyways I ended up splitting the gray cable, thanks to the link you gave me i have all the speakers wired up correctly... one last question, in the gray cable theres the 8 colored speaker wires, and then theres on single non coated expored wire... what should i do with this wire, is it needed or is it fine just to cut and tape it off?

about speakers, I have some nice pioneers and tweeters that will be going in there as soon as this is all hooked up! and yes i definetly plan to remove the amp as well, as i have a an amp for my mid/highs, as well as the lows (sub amp).

thanks again for the help! I'm probably going to make a 'write up' to help other people who may want to do this 'ghetto' way of wiring it LOL because I've never had so much of a hard time getting speaker wire codes for any previous vehicle, it's like it's a secret amoung explorer owners only.

-Mike

Mike,

As far as the speaker wires go, I went to Radio Shack and bought flat connectors and made my own "quick connect" for the HU. The amp bypass harness I purchased made the removal of the amp a breeze. However, had I known the color code of the pre-amp side of things I would have done the same thing there.

Good luck with the write-up. I think it would be a valuable addition to the site.

toney... with the help of the link you posted and thru the PM it's hooked up and sounding great! thanks again! never had such a hard time wiring a deck (normally a 10 min job for me LOL) all in all it was infact a 10 min job, just never seen thin guage speaker wires wires all bundled up in a single cable like that before!!

i ended up completely doing away with the scoche harness, it was way off. even the ground was in the wrong place. i hate hacking the factory wires but in this case, it was a must! lol.

thanks again!

-Mike

Back