Please Read. HELP!!

MrBean972

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas U.S.A
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited 4x4
Ok guys here is what is going on.

Today i installed a new light switch because my instrument panel dimmer quit working.

Well after that i went for a drive and noticed that my voltage gauge was half its notmal reading and i noticed it started getting lower and lower.

Well i went to autozone and had them test the alternator and it tested bad. Well i bought one and put it on right there in the parking lot while they charged my battery. Then i started the car and noticed my voltage meter was inb the same spot. I went back in and got the guy and told him what was going on and her tested the new alternator. Well it appeared to be bad also. Well in return we went inside and got my old Alternator and put it on the bench tester and it tested perfect.

Then we came outside and come to the conclusion that the plug that goes into the voltage regulator isnt sending a 12volt lead to the alternator to tell it to turn on.. When we wire a direct witre from the battery to the Green and red wire on the alt it starts charging and my volt meter rises.

Have any idea what this could be ??

Also i checked both fuse boxes.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance,
Nick

Nick,
Use an ohmmeter and check to see if you have corrosion inside of your battery wire. I had a similar problem on my '92. Check the resistance from the battery terminal connector to the alternator connector. It should be a fairly low value (Ohms). If you get a high reading (KOhms or MOhms) you may have corrosion inside the battery terminal connector that is stopping the current flow.

Back