Plug and Wire Preferences / Sources? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plug and Wire Preferences / Sources?

GUS

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
With 93k, it's time to replace the plugs and wires on my OHC. Any suggestions as to brand or on-line sources with good prices?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ac delco (non platinum) plugs.....
(cheap but very good plugs)

and accel wires.
(pricy but worth it)

best plugs and wires

GUS said:
With 93k, it's time to replace the plugs and wires on my OHC. Any suggestions as to brand or on-line sources with good prices?

Thanks!
Motorcraft double platinum are oem they are what the manufacture installed on the assembly line and wires are optional jacobs are good as well as accel.Don't forget the plugs are different drivers side and passenger side take different type.one side has platinum tip the other side has platinum core,so be careful about these guys who say non platinum work as well??????

All your replacement plugs are double plat. Ford just put in two different kinds at mfg. to save money.
Motorcraft plugs and OEM or NAPA(Belden) wires will work just fine. Unless you are going to a high power ignition high priced wires are a waste.

I found some Taylor Spiral-pro wire for my 5.0, which I'm going to buy, but they have 2 different ones listed, one for #7-8 cyl. routed to back of engine, and one for #7-8 routed to front of engine.... I'm not sure what there asking, the wire does run from the front to the back along the valve cover, is that what they mean?????

also what kind of plugs you guys put in your 5.0 and where you get them???? I can't find Motorcraft Plat. anywhere.... Don't want to go to dealer...

Bandit, I think what they're saying is you can either order a set of wires that's meant to run around the back (as yours is), or you can buy a set that has different sized wires so you can run them around the front instead. I would say get the front ones if you can because its SOOOOO much easier to run them around the front. I'm planning on doing custom wires just so I can route them the easy way.

Mine actually run from the coil packs in front, and back along the valuve cover to the 7-8 plugs. So I quess mine would be front anyway then....right?? So the back route would go from the front coil pack and down the middle of the intake, and then wrap around the head (from the back) to the 7-8 plugs?

Hmmm... I don't know about that then. I wasn't thinking 7-8 plug now that I think about it, I was thinking about 3-4 plug.

I guess that you would be right, although I would probably suggest contacting the company and asking them, because they should be able to tell you what the difference is.

i'd say stick with the motorcraft plugs.

i'm running some autolite plugs that i am pleased with

Back