• Register Today It's free!

plug gap

ralphwiggum

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hey, just curious as to why the "pre-gapped" plugs I took out of my 92 XLT were gapped differently than the under the hood sticker specifies. I checked some out at the parts store and it was the same thing. I put in plugs I gapped myself to the sticker specs and they work fine (but so did the pre-gapped ones the previous owner had in!). Thanks.:cool:

Could be from wear, or from someone not paying attention to the proper gapping, or if they were deliberately gapped larger, they might have been trying to improve the performance. When you get "pre gapped" plugs from the store, it's always a good idea to check them because they do not always meet the spec on the package.

If I remember correctly, the Gap should be 54ish.. I have 1 book that actually has the gas listed incorectly (I think it is my Haynes book)..

It is possible the last person had a book with wrong info.. or just took the plugs out of the box and put them in (I can do that on 2 of my vehicles.. but not the X)..

~Mark

if the plugs were in there a while the heat i believe changes the gap...thats why you replace the plugs...hehehehe i dunno though maybe some one wasn't paying attention

by the way great name, ralph rule!!!! did you see the new simpsons last sunday...... "i'm ralph" draws on himself with a pencil..hahha priceless

Back