Plugs, Wires, Headers etc... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plugs, Wires, Headers etc...

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 EB
So I am getting a code for cylinder 3 miss fire and had planned on a tune up anyway. 2001 5.0

Last time (at 75k) I used Autolite double platinums and Taylor wires. That was 65k ago.

I plan to use the Autolites again but the wires I would like some help with,

I will order my Tourque Monsters today (WOO HOO!!!) and would like to buy wires that best match the routing, heat, boot angle etc of the TM's.

Also, If it turns out to be a coil, are there any recommended replacement coils?

When I do the headers, I will do the intake spacer at the same time, and plan on a number of other items while I have it apart, PVC, Oxygen Sensors, EGR valve...

Is there anything else I should look at purchasing to replace while I am in there?

I don't think there is necessarily a "best" wireset for the headers. A lot of people will recommend the OEM Motorcraft wires and there is some merit to that given that they come with heatshields on some of the wires that face the most heat.

BUT, I still toasted some of the OEM wires. It's all about being creative in your routing and taking your time. I feel that OEM wires are adequate, but I had one break apart when removing it from the plug (was only a month old). I'll take the quality of my aftermarket wires any day over Motorcraft wires.

I've got wires from a Canadian supplier called "Aurora". They'll make custom wires which are very high quality using materials similar to a good US wire company called "Magnecor". I've got three different styles of shock boots across my 8 plugs. Some are "standard" bends, two are 90 degree and one is a straight boot. I have heat socks on all eight wires and use a combination of aftermarket wire looms and zip ties to make sure each and every wire has adequate clearance.

The key is to take your time on each and every wire. There are some very tight clearances if you dare try and follow stock routing with the headers. I've had to learn the hard way sadly. :(

OEM coils are fine. I'm having good experiences with MSD packs and have stuck with them because I had a red thing going under my hood. If you insist on aftermarket, consider Screamin Demon. At the end of the day, the improvements with aftermarket coils are marginal, IMHO. I have used all three noted.

The headers are a great investment. I've got the UI spacer too. Make sure to get the modded EGR tube from Bob. When you tell him you're using the spacer, he'll know the drill. Extra charge for the tube, but he doesn't gouge you either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the info celly.

When you say standard bend, is that 45?
Are the bends more important then the heat socks or the other way around? Of course, in the interest of not cooking the wires.

Thanks for the info celly.

When you say standard bend, is that 45?
Are the bends more important then the heat socks or the other way around? Of course, in the interest of not cooking the wires.

45 sounds about right for "standard".

I feel that the bend is more important than the heatsock, BUT heatsocks are good insurance too. One of my wires had a sock in place, but the close proximity to the header tube eventually wore down the boot so it got spongy and I eventually started misfiring. I went with a straight boot on that one. That's on plug 3 I think (might be 2).

I think my 90 degree wires are on 6 and 8.

Heatsocks aren't as effective on some of the OEM Motorcraft wires because they don't fit over the stock metal heatshields that come on those wires. The key is to take your time on each wire and do everything possible to maximize the distance from the wire to the header tube. Good ol' zipties and looms are the trick here.

5_0_Firing_Order.jpg

Back