plz help no 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

plz help no 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
dayton ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
1994 explorer 4x4 not working. 4hi button does nothing no lights,sounds nothing. 4low light by button comes on 4x4 dash light comes on,escm clicks.and i put it in 4low and trans in gear and couldnt rotate front driveshaft so i assume tranfer case is engaging. is it the junk auto hubs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The automatic front hubs are probly the first most common thing done to the 1st gens (swapping fr manual hubs such as WARN)

does it sound like the hubs are the problem to you? i just dont want to by the manual hub conversion and still not work. anything else i should check before i buy the kit?

Im honestly not the guy to ask, I would say the hubs DO sound like the problem, but im not sure why the 4x4 lights arent coming on...

Can you hear it engage when you press the button? (Are you also in Neutral, with the brake pedal depressed?)

the lights do come on when i hit the 4low button just not when i hit 4hi. i do hear something under there and i am in neutral....

If no Lights then it's not the Hubs.
Sounds like the Shifter Motor is not going into 4Wheel High.

the lights do come on when i hit the 4x4 button. little light by the button comes on and 4x4 light on dash comes on.. but front tires wont grab...... the low range button is the one that does nothing,lights,sounds,etc..........

Back