• Register Today It's free!

POed at the Escape

The Godfather

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I finally found an article on the Escape in Autoweek. I read about half the article and then I read the 4 cylinder is available with a 5 speed or auto and the V6 only has the auto. I stopped reading there. I don't like 4 cylinders so the V6 would be my only choice, but I love manuals. I was kind of leaning for the Escape over an Explorer for my next vehicle but not now. Why does Ford (or all American companies for that matter) insist on putting just autos on cars/trucks? The only cars I will ever buy are sticks and with more and more US cars being strictly auto, I'm going to have to switch to German cars in the future. As much as I want to support the US automakers, they don't give me much choice. I think Brock Yates said it best: "People need to keep their hands free for cell phones and palm pilots while they drive". God forbid we actually have to drive a car.

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The real reason is that Ford er... Mazda can't build a decent manual transmission.

I'll second that one.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

I'll 3rd

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8

I agree, but let's see what Ford comes up with in September, which is when the new 5 Spd debuts on the 2001 Sport

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

what 5 -speed dose a 98 ranger have??? is it still a fu8king mazda and how will it stan up to a 4.0l 4x2 ex cab???

Yep, its a Mazda transmission, and its been standing up to the 4.0l for 10 years in the Explorer and Ranger. It'll be okay for the first few years.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Back