Poll. Any troubles with tranny soon after fluid/filter change, tranny flush? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poll. Any troubles with tranny soon after fluid/filter change, tranny flush?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:( Hi Mike R. What did you find out about your problem? I've got a 1999 Xlt with 4.0 Sohc and I'm having the same problem. I've had the x since new and have 107,000 kms on it. I've never driven the xlt rough, Changed the tranny fliuid every 50.000 kms and engine oil every 5.000 kms with mobil 1 syn. Very well taken care of. It slips in 1,2,3 and also reverse. Ive had the valve body gaskets changed but still have the same problem. It is not constant, sometimes it's ok but if I put a load on the engine like air conditioning it starts to act up. Any help from anyone on the list would be appreciated. Thanks

I've never had the chance to change it. My trannies never last long enough. I had a rebuild maybe 7,000 miles ago. I am going to change it at 12,000. I think a lot of people wait until their trans is acting up, and then change it to "fix" the trans. By then it is too late.
There is a Ford TSB out on this transmission for vague or missing shifts.
Do you know what years this is for? My trans is ALWAYS shifting. In the city all it does is shift up and down.

i had my 97 sohc xlt tranny fluid changed at 130,000 klm after an overheating problem. Ever since it has had a clunk when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. Ford have no record of it being changed before then.

From what I know, my car hasn't had much tranny work in the past few years...my Ex has 150,000 miles w/ nothing major done to it...knock on wood...and my tranny seems to be fine.

I did the flush and fill myself at 50K on my 5E55. I then dropped the pan and refilled again at 85K. This has worked well for me so far. Knock on wood. I would also recommend the drop pan and filter method for older trannies.

Good Luck,
mhill

i had a problem after they flushed the tranny on mine..
when i do reverse, and then get to a complete stop,
and then switch to D
it takes around 6 seconds until it switches there...
before that, it was right away..
i dont know what did they messed up
but they insist on saying, nothing wrong with my tranny...

One of my Dads friends runs a transmission shop. Took my grandfathers F350 in when it was acting up and asked about getting it flushed. He said he sees more transmissions die after a flush than anything else. And yes he changes the filter, flushes, changes the filter again and refills. Dropping the pan is fine, but like its been said above, the flush seems real bad for finishing things off or clogging them off.

Guzzer, Sounds to me like your filter has come loose. Need to drop the pan and replace or repair the filter. Its sucking air not fluid.

Flush and filter on mine on my own using AMSOIL universal ATF so far so good but don't jinx me!!! it's been about 3000km's so far. everything seem's good and it seem's to change quiter in the cold than before.

When I took my 93 XLT to a "Quiky Lube" type place at 90.000 miles before a trip to Colorado to have the transmission serviced which I have been doing every 30.000 miles as we tow a trailer with it. I had a problem in that they put a 2wd filter on a 4wd sucked air all the way to Colorado burnt up transmission even they admitted that they had installed incorrect filter. Now I take it to a regular transmission shop and have it done.

fluid change

Bought my 93 Explorer a few weeks back with 108,000 on it. Noticed after i bought it that it was slow to shift when cold.I did a filter change and refilled with fluid thinking the filter was plugged but,in a few days ploblem was back. I was also losing tranny fluid. Also noticed that almost all of the vacuum lines were disconnected. There was pink fluid coming out of the lines that were still hooked up. Checked my Ford repair manuals and called Ford to see if the tranny fluid could be sucked into vacuum system. After confirming this with ford i replaced the modulator valve on tranmission. That was a few hundred miles back and as of today it still shifts great and no more lost tranny fluid. Ben

I just changed the fluid and filter in my 99 XLS. It has 80K on it. I hope that I dont have any trouble out of it. Its been 2 months, so far the Tranny shifts like a dream.

I had my 1991 4x4 tranny flushed 7/7/99 at 108,300 miles and the A4LD is still working fine ("knock on wood"). I did add some LubeGard "Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant" a couple of years ago on the recommendation of some transmission guys. The internet web site for this additive is at:http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/index_trans.html
And I add the Lubegard stuff to the power steering fluid periodically (when changing this fluid).
After seeing all the comments over the years on the A4LD transmissions failing and other problems, I have a file of stuff on what I need to do to have the A4LD rebuilt if it every starts misbehaving (shop identified in Puget Sound area which has the reputation of knowing how do rebuild the A4LD) I purchased this 1991 Ford Explorer new in July 1990 so it is getting a little long in the tooth but it still doing fine.
And I am wondering about getting another tranny flush or at least changing the fluid.
Mike with 91 4x4 in sunny but cool Seattle.

I flushed mine after 200K of dino and now I'm screwed. I never had any problems with it either. Maybe its coincidence with the mileage and timing of it, but if I could go back I would drop pan, use the better, updated filter and that's it. I don't know if I would even add the remote again.

BTW, the X tranny fluid was serviced every 15-25K.

my first tranny started acting up by not shifting at all unless i did it manually when cold. so i flushed the system. The fluid was nasty burnt smelling, the tranny then exploded two weeks later i should not have touched it but it was on its way out anyways. Now i have 12K on my new trans, its been flushed already, and just recently when in reverse it feels like im backing up with the e-brake on it chatters and slips real weird i hope im not losing yet another one.

i hate T S B's, all it means is is that ford knows there's a problem ut dont want to do a recall on it, did you know there's also a tsb on the abs system?

I started changeing my ATF and Filter every 15,000. I have left it to my dad about 15,000 ago it needs a new VM now but other than that it runs great.

I use Trick shift ATF.

170,000 +
Runs like new!

I will let y'all know how he dose with puting the new vm in and if it runs good still after!

One of my co-workers works in his dad's shop on evenings and drag races on the weekends. We were chatting about this just a few weeks ago. He said that it's not uncommon for all the problems above to surface after a high-mileage trans that hasn't ben flushed suddenly has fresh fluid in it. He attributed it to the detergents in the fresh fluid stripping build-ups and clogging critical passageways and suddenly un-sticking stuff that should stay stuck. Personally, I've always had fluid and filter changes every 30k, and have yet to have a major issue with 124k on the original trans. (knocking on wood) If you've got 100K on it and it's never been changed, I would advise to not flush the entire system. At best, drain the pan and change the filter, then top-off what was lost from the pan. That'll only be 1/4 of the system capacity, so it shouldn't cause any long-term issues.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I have a 94 xlt 2x4 A4LD with 180k. To my knowledge, it has never had a fluid change. When pulling a light trailer this week I noticed that the RPM's were running about 500 too high. The TC felt a little mushy, and now, it does the same thing even without getting too hot. I think the trannie or the TC is baked. Do yall think that a dropped filter change would be advisable? I really don't need to spend a ton of money on a trannie rebuild, college is expensive enough. Also, what is the best filter and ATF to use? Thanks in advance.

Back