Poll. Any troubles with tranny soon after fluid/filter change, tranny flush? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poll. Any troubles with tranny soon after fluid/filter change, tranny flush?

Mad Joe,

You said light trailer.......that's a relative term. IMHO, best thing, for the future.......don't tow w/ the '94 Explorer (trans is weak point).

Go ahead and do the fliter and oil change, what more have you got to loose at this point.

Aloha, Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'm trying to figure out if this secondary transmission fluid filter will work on an 03 Explorer. I'm getting the rough shifting and the long pause between reverse and drive and from the sounds of it, a simple flush will not do the trick or at least not in the long term. Sounds like an easy install from what you guys are saying, is it the same for my vehicle? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I flush mine every 8,000 miles religiously (every 2-3 oil changes). I go to pepboys and have them do the 99% fluid transfer. I watch them like a hawk as they do it also, I don't go to the waiting room, I stand right in the garage. Never had any problems so far with 86,000 miles on the tranny. My 94' has the tow package with the extra tranny fluid cooler in front of the radiator. I replaced that with a B&M after market cooler. I also re-routed the lines going to the radiator to a 2nd after market cooler mounted in front of the radiator, so the tranny fluid never passes through the radiator. Why heat the tranny fluid from the radiator, just doesn't make sense to me.

But to answer you, I haven't had any issues so far, no leaks, no hesitations, smooth shifts and drives like a dream.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the secondary transmission fluid filter will work on an 03? Is it pretty much a universal kit?

Yes, just go to your local pepboys. They sell universal B&M oil coolers, they are about 40-120 bucks.

sorry my mistake . I read it wrong.:confused:

I replaced the original 1994 transmission @ 70k, due to blown torque converter. Factory new transmission installed.

Never changed the fluid once. Shifts great at 170k. Light clunk occasionally when shifting into fwd or reverse. Think that may be u-joint, though.

/knocksonwood.

/threaddig

Back