• Register Today It's free!

Pop up driving lights?

theluke19

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. Never seen or thought of that. Sounds like a cool idea for some driving lights. I'd like to see that (before I'd try it, lol).

Yeah that might be pretty cool if you could figure out how to do it =P

maybe on the rear of the hood where it starts to meet the windshield... thats where the most room is too. Im trying to think if the contour of the lights would work with the hood too. 2 little lights at the back of the hood would look pretty interesting too. def. unique!

could find a way to mount them in the lower center part of the bumper and put 130watt bulbs in there. hideaway spot lights when you need them

have them pop down below the license plate?

The only promblem I think you'd have is where would they go when they folded up. There's not a ton of free real estate under the hood of an X. Possibly if you did a rear mount battery system, and found a way to relocate the air box, or make it shorter you could put them right there. But I would have to agree wth interscope8, they would look much better up at the back of the hood.

There should be plenty of room under the hood with his 3" bodylift

The only promblem I think you'd have is where would they go when they folded up. There's not a ton of free real estate under the hood of an X. Possibly if you did a rear mount battery system, and found a way to relocate the air box, or make it shorter you could put them right there. But I would have to agree wth interscope8, they would look much better up at the back of the hood.

Only problem with mounting them at the back of the hood is possible bad glare at night off the metal.

I had only thought of it at the back of the hood near the windshield. Anywhere else I would think would look funny. It'd definitely be a tight fit to find space.

That's a good point, I didn't notice he had the BL. But still when you think a out it the light housing an mechanism is going to need at Least 7-8" below the hood. The entire back of the good is very close the things like the intake plenum, master cylinder, and climate box. Not to mention the hinges. What about scratching the idea of usin a ore existing light from another car and fabricating something? For example if you went with something like a KC slim light built into a mechanism that instead of bringing the entire unit down on a hinge it folds the light under the top plate, with the light resting either straight up or down? Of course you'd still need clearance underneath for a set of actuators or something, but they wouldn't be nearly as bulky and might be able to fit around whatever is in the way.

I think it's a cool idea and if it works out, it'll definitely be different.

Just put some offroad lights behind the grille. Way to much metal and fab work with not enough free space to work with, jmo.

I don't think the pop up light idea would work since it would require cutting the hood (unless you don't mind cutting it). You might be able to install headlight doors which open & close. Take a look at the photo below to see what I have in mind.
1971-Continental-coupe.jpg

My Cougar has the hideaway headlights...AND sequential turn signals. Pretty much the coolest vehicle ever. It'd be kind of difficult on a vehicle that's lights aren't somewhat recessed into the body, though.

Could you post a picture of your Cougar? I had a 1985 Trans Am with recessed headlights many years ago. The driver's side was broken, and was very expensive to replace, so ended up leaving it until I sold it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the pop up light idea would work since it would require cutting the hood (unless you don't mind cutting it).

If I did start on this project, I think I'd end up getting a hood from a junkyard, color-matched or not, and use that one for the prototype.

Back