Popping noises when turning? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping noises when turning?

nice! Glad to have helped. I suppose it made sense to them once they pulled the skin off.

Did you see what the parts looked like?

No i didnt get a chance to see what the parts looked like. Im just glad its been fixed. Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long did it take them to do this fix. Can they finish this in 1 day or is it couple of days minimum. I am taking mine in tomorrow morning and dropping off.

They were done in 1 day. It shouldnt take days. Also the turning and handling feels alot better.

Dropped it today for the fix, printed out a copy of this discussion and gave it to the service guy, he browses and says, "We are not going to do any welding".......WRONG ANSWER, especially to a customer who has bought his 3rd car from your dealership in less than a year.
I asked him why he won't do this when other dealers are doing this fix? Lets see what they do as long as popping is gone.
Also the front map light/ sunglass pocket thing is too loose, he is going to fix that too.

No Cory, that was my error. I posed a comment but it didn't belong in this thread.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Rollingrock. I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something important. :) Enjoy the long weekend!

Dropped it today for the fix, printed out a copy of this discussion and gave it to the service guy, he browses and says, "We are not going to do any welding"...
K1200rsport,
I want to see this taken care of this before the holiday weekend so I sent you a follow-up PM. Check your inbox for the details.

Cory

Got my car back, dealer narrowed the noise to both left & right control arms using the listening equipment, the parts are on order and should be in next week.

Thanks to Cory from Ford customer service and the customer service manager followed up with me and the dealer. Keep you guys posted when the fix happens.

...Thanks to Cory from Ford customer service and the customer service manager followed up with me and the dealer. Keep you guys posted when the fix happens.
You’re welcome, K1200rsport! It’s great that I was able to arrange for you to be called before the long weekend. I hope your Labor Day was a relaxing one. :D

Cory

Got it fixed today. Dealer replaced the control arms and noise was there, well there are 2 metal pieces behind the bumper that are tack welded together, tacks are not strong enough to control the movement of these 2 metal pieces thus causing the popping noises. Ford recommended not to weld these parts( like the case with others) but the recommendation was to use a punch that way metal distorts into eachother.
Reason for not welding was that heat may distort the metal OR in case of accident if welds crack, insurance will not cover.
But its fixed and i am happy.
Thanks for everyones help

Before you rush to the dealer to have this fixed, give it some time. It totally went away by itself on my Explorer....at about 2500 miles. Never pops now.

Was there ever a recall issued for this? Our 2011 Ex just started popping yesterday, 69k miles. Can feel the pop at the top of the drivers side strut too. Ugh!

I hate to bring back an old thread, but information here sounds very promising and relevant.

I recently bought a used 2012 Ford Explorer XLT (love it!) from a local Ford Dealership. When test driving, I didn't notice the pop, but after taking it on a 300 mile road trip, there is sometimes one or two pops when turning right or left. So far it sounds exactly like the issues others are having in this thread.

I have also checked the CV axles and there is zero play. I have yet to take a look at the steering shaft since it looks pretty deep in there.

In any case, I assume the "skin" that rolling RollingRock is referring to is the Front bumper cover and the plates are part of the frame/suspension that can should be easily seen when removing the front cover?

I come from a a Ford family and have rebuilt quite a few Ford engines/ T-5 transmissions in my time but if anyone has a diagram or sketch as to where the two plates that need to be welded/fastened by distortion can be located, that would be most helpful. Thanks to all!

My dealer in the Philippines replaced the steering gear assembly last year on After Warranty Assistance program. Since then, I've noticed the steering gear being sluggish again. Also, I started hearing this popping sound when turning left or right. The sound is more evident on the driver side. Their recommendation is to replace the steering gear again and now I have to pay $5000 for the part. I've owned this EX since September 2012 and have 48,000kms on it.

My dealer in the Philippines replaced the steering gear assembly last year on After Warranty Assistance program. Since then, I've noticed the steering gear being sluggish again. Also, I started hearing this popping sound when turning left or right. The sound is more evident on the driver side. Their recommendation is to replace the steering gear again and now I have to pay $5000 for the part. I've owned this EX since September 2012 and have 48,000kms on it.
I doubt the popping noise is related to the steering issue but I could be wrong. There are various things that could cause that.
Also most Ford parts have a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty.
Parts Limited Warranty Statement
Most Motorcraft® and Ford Parts come covered for 24 months/unlimited miles. https://www.fordparts.com/FileUploa.../Service parts warranty statement_10.1.13.pdf

Peter

I doubt the popping noise is related to the steering issue but I could be wrong. There are various things that could cause that.
Also most Ford parts have a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty.
Parts Limited Warranty Statement
Most Motorcraft® and Ford Parts come covered for 24 months/unlimited miles. https://www.fordparts.com/FileUploads/RichTextboxImages/file/Service parts warranty statement_10.1.13.pdf

Peter

Hi Peter,

After reading back through the threads, I'm beginning to think you may be right and that the problem may not be the steering gear assembly. I mean its only been 16,000kms from the date they have replaced the steering gear. I'm just speculating since I'm no mechanic.

About the warranty on parts, Ford Group Philippines may not have the same policy on parts. However, I will bring this to the Philippines Department of Trade since this is also safety issue.

Again, I'm hoping someone can help me with this burning issue. I cannot afford that $5000. Thats a freaking price of a used car. Screwed by Ford...

I have a 2013 explorer with the same pop noise on a turn, sounds like its coming from the drivers side. can anyone post part numbers or photos of the plate or skin area that was either welded or bolted for the fixx?

our issue is now fixed.

Ford removed the front skins and re welded the front two plates and replaced skin. They also used the noise detection device.

Rollingrock, I am experiencing a very similar situation with my 2016 XLT with 60k miles on it. I hear a 'popping/clunk' when i turn the steering wheel to the right. Started only when i would back out of the driveway with one pop. Now its happening while going forward at slow speeds only when turning to the right (one or two pops depending how deep i get into the turn), and while not moving. The sound comes from what sounds like the driver side tire area. Can you please see the video in the dropbox link below? Is that sound similar to what you were experiencing?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e2er4clzcv9u54h/AACNVtlG7i65lYWv0jWrASl6a?dl=0

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since March 19, 2012. I believe it was covered under the following TSB; 11-9-12 CREAK NOISE FROM FRONT BUMPER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/6/2011.
FORD: 2011-2012 Explorer
ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 9/6/2011 may exhibit a creak noise from the front bumper area while turning and/or negotiating grade changes.

Peter

@Brian - Make sure you rule out the strut bearing, which is a common failure on this platform and makes a popping noise as bearing starts to fail. You can search it on this forum, as there is lots of info. My 2011 failed on passenger side at around 60k. Now my driver side is starting to pop faintly with 100k. You can check this quickly in your driveway by holding your hand on the spring while someone turns the steering wheel from lock to lock. You will feel and hear the spring pop if it is bad. This is a $200 fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, New to this forum

I had popping noise from the front, right side. Replaced all the suspension parts myself, didn't help (thought I was a mechanic:angryfire:). Decided to let the dealer fix this. Needed another strut bearing BB5Z*18183*A $69.65. But what I'm curious about is that I was charged $425.99 for a code 7375 CPC1, whatever that means fixed this condition. I didn't asked the dealer about this I was just happy to get my truck fixed. If this helps someone I'm happy. By the way, I have a 2013 explorer XLT.

Preston

Back