Possible AWD modification / RWD only conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible AWD modification / RWD only conversion

albguy40

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Ltd. AWD
Hello all,

After owning a 13 Limited that clearly turned out to be a problematic/lemon over the years here I am again... Told myself I wouldn’t get a Ford again but yet here I am cross-shopping Fords against other Fords all over again (the Explorer against the Ranger but that’s a story in itself).

The new chassis has me very intrigued, however, I wanted to see if anyone had more info on the AWD system that these vehicles have (the XLT/Limited primarily). I am wondering if it would at all be possible to have a drive mode/PTO/transmission tune that essentially piggy backs on one of the existing drive modes to create a RWD only mode. I keep reading that this generation has a v freewheeling front with the axle disconnect feature so I’m wondering if software can be used to trick the system into essentially turning into a RWD only system.

I am in Canada and all our Explorers here are AWD, and the reason why I am even looking at such an idea is two pronged. Primarily I want to see if this thing can function as a RWD only car down the line (I plan on giving this thing to my kids as their first car in 10 years), and the second reason is just plainly curiosity (is the driveshaft/halfshafts/rear differential designed to handle all 310lbft of torque to the rear wheels constantly. I had three separate PTO repairs on my 13 over the years and an eventual replacement towards the end so I am really looking to see what route Ford has chosen with this generation.

I couldn’t find anything regarding this so I’m wondering if it’s something others have contemplated also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The late model Fords do not have AWD, it is already 2WD constantly, until it senses a speed difference between the two ends, and then applies power to the other end of the vehicle. The recent Explorers have been FWD and it chooses when to send power to the back. The new ones are RWD and when needed, it sends power to the front.

The descriptions for AWD are wrong, period. AWD means 100% of the time all wheels receive power. The late model Fords since about 2009 all have automatic 4WD. AWD transfer cases have no shift motors, no shift levers, and no locking differential devices. The A4WD systems are doing a very good job of seamlessly(that's the rub) varying the power applied to the normally undriven wheels.

So you really should be asking, how to stop power from going to the end not normally driven. In the early A4WD Explorers, that was a simple thing to do, find the brown wire and put a switch in it. Search for Brown Wire Mod and you will find lots of those examples. The newer Fords though are vastly more complicated to alter anything electrically.

A pure 4WD operation means the front and rear are locked together, thus can't be driven on dry pavement etc. AWD is safe for all surface conditions, because the front and rear are never locked together, there is some kind differential device that is not locked. The A4WD systems are between those others, they allow for no power to one end, and then select when and how much power to apply to the other end. That's not the same thing as AWD, or 4WD. But it does give more control to the driver, to select actual 4WD high or low, versus the normal automatic selection.

Hello all,

After owning a 13 Limited that clearly turned out to be a problematic/lemon over the years here I am again... Told myself I wouldn’t get a Ford again but yet here I am cross-shopping Fords against other Fords all over again (the Explorer against the Ranger but that’s a story in itself).

The new chassis has me very intrigued, however, I wanted to see if anyone had more info on the AWD system that these vehicles have (the XLT/Limited primarily). I am wondering if it would at all be possible to have a drive mode/PTO/transmission tune that essentially piggy backs on one of the existing drive modes to create a RWD only mode. I keep reading that this generation has a v freewheeling front with the axle disconnect feature so I’m wondering if software can be used to trick the system into essentially turning into a RWD only system.

I am in Canada and all our Explorers here are AWD, and the reason why I am even looking at such an idea is two pronged. Primarily I want to see if this thing can function as a RWD only car down the line (I plan on giving this thing to my kids as their first car in 10 years), and the second reason is just plainly curiosity (is the driveshaft/halfshafts/rear differential designed to handle all 310lbft of torque to the rear wheels constantly. I had three separate PTO repairs on my 13 over the years and an eventual replacement towards the end so I am really looking to see what route Ford has chosen with this generation.

I couldn’t find anything regarding this so I’m wondering if it’s something others have contemplated also.
Dude he's talking about 6th gen not a 2nd! Which yeah there rear wheel drive not Awd like the sticker says but there's no trimming the brown wire

Dude he's talking about 6th gen not a 2nd! Which yeah there rear wheel drive not Awd like the sticker says but there's no trimming the brown wire
Which is exactly why he qualified it with “in the early A4WD explorers”. His point is that there’s some *similar* which, there almost certainly is. Probably nothing more than cutting a different color wire. Hell, it could even be brown, you wouldn’t know.

Do he's talking about 6th gen not a 2nd !

Which is exactly why he qualified it with “in the A4WD explorers”. His point is that there’s something SIMILAR. Which, there almost certainly is.
True probably Is but it's probably not worth digging into the transfer case to find out lol

It wouldn’t be in the transfer case( PTU) It’d be in a harness, and the only digging would be in an electrical diagram to find the color and connector.

It appears that some say the 2020+ Explorer has Intelligent All-Wheel Drive. Features of the 2020 Ford Explorer Intelligent All-Wheel Drive and Terrain Management systems - Sherwood Ford.
Take your pick. In any case, whatever you call it, the system seems to work well.

Peter

It appears that some say the 2020+ Explorer has Intelligent All-Wheel Drive. Features of the 2020 Ford Explorer Intelligent All-Wheel Drive and Terrain Management systems - Sherwood Ford.
Take your pick. In any case, whatever you call it, the system seems to work well.

Peter
STs are awd and there's an answer I kinda needed now I just gotta wait for my ford to stop only getting st and platinum lol

The 2020 Ford Explorer Technical Specifications show the following;
Base, XLT, Limited and Hybrid
Rear-wheel drive with available intelligent four-wheel drive with front axle disconnect.
ST and Platinum
Intelligent four-wheel drive with front axle disconnect.

RWD only Explorers are apparently not available in Canada.

Peter

If it’s “intelligent” it uses a clutch which is electromechanically controlled, and can be interrupted. Granted, it might know this has happened and assume some sort of fault has occurred.

The 2020 Ford Explorer Technical Specifications show the following;
Base, XLT, Limited and Hybrid
Rear-wheel drive with available intelligent four-wheel drive with front axle disconnect.
ST and Platinum
Intelligent four-wheel drive with front axle disconnect.

RWD only Explorers are apparently not available in Canada.

Peter
I wonder, do these new explorers that have RWD have transversely mounted engines with PTUs sending power to the back? Or is it using a proper transfer case? Just curious since the PTUs are always such delicate flowers lol... Everyone's nervous about them breaking, and rightfully so.

I wonder, do these new explorers that have RWD have transversely mounted engines with PTUs sending power to the back? Or is it using a proper transfer case? Just curious since the PTUs are always such delicate flowers lol... Everyone's nervous about them breaking, and rightfully so.
These things actually have proper longitudinal mounted engines. My understanding is that the 10R60 that comes on then is very similar to the 10R80 used on the F150/250, Ranger, Expedition, etc (albeit with 200nm less torque capacity)... I would think (total assumption) that the transfer case is similar on them to say an on demand one found in the Lariat trim and above on the F150...

I would think that they have space constraints though, unlike the ladder frame vehicles mentioned above, and most likely use a totally new/different transfer case for it.

These things actually have proper longitudinal mounted engines. My understanding is that the 10R60 that comes on then is very similar to the 10R80 used on the F150/250, Ranger, Expedition, etc (albeit with 200nm less torque capacity)... I would think (total assumption) that the transfer case is similar on them to say an on demand one found in the Lariat trim and above on the F150...

I would think that they have space constraints though, unlike the ladder frame vehicles mentioned above, and most likely use a totally new/different transfer case for it.
That's very reassuring that they've gone back to longitudinal engines... Really not a fan of transverse engine fitment in the engine bay of an SUV. To be honest, my reason is purely ease of access when working on it, not as much ease of RWD system implementation - but it does help of course. Thanks for the info!

Back