• Register Today It's free!

Possible transfer case issues?

momneedsanswers

Reaction score
City, State
Vanceburg KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello ok I have a 2002 Explorer is the tranfer case the answer? When coasting I hear a very loud buzzing noise push in the gas it leaves. Come to a complete stop it leaves. Sitting still and putting it into reverse it is extra loud. Ok get this though you put it into 4HI it all goes away and works perfect for a few weeks. What is going on? Every once in a while 4HI comes on by it self for like 15 seconds then goes away maybe this will help. Someone PLEASE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the shift rail bore issue to me.

Thank you

Thank you all for the answers the bore problem how would this be fixed? Or checked to see for sure if that is the problem.

Ok this morning my explorer wants to say it is going 70-100 mph and is actually going between 25 and 35. It wont read past 2000 and 3000 rpms. It will not go into 4 wheel drive at all. When coasting I put in into neutral and after about 30 seconds in neutral the breaks went out and the explorer died. It started back up ok but still does not run right. It is in a garage now but I am supposed to call them around 12 to get an answer, but I wanted to see if I could get more than one answer so if anyone knows what the problem is if it is still the transfer case let me know.

Back