1997 Ford Explorer with possible transmission/transfer case issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer with possible transmission/transfer case issues.

Kristen8706

Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer and here lately I have been having problems with it. When I shift it into reverse it makes this horrible grinding noise...almost sounds like a weed eater and then it stops when i shift back to park. It has been making that same noise while in drive now too. When I hit the break it stops all together. I had it looked at 3 times and one guy said that it was my transfer case..which controlls the 4 wheel drive. Another said that it was my transmission...he ran a test on it and the code read P1762...Overdrive band failed off...not sure what that means either...WHAT is going on with my truck and what am i looking at to get it fixed...PLEASE HELP!!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the transmissions & transfer cases section. The noise might be related to an internal transfer case issue. Adjust the bands to see if they could be properly set at the correct torque rating. You might have a broken band if the adjuster never gets tight.

Back