Possibly buying a 2nd gen. What to look for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly buying a 2nd gen. What to look for?

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Hey all,
I'm going to be selling my 3rd gen Explorer and one of my possibilities is a 2nd gen Explorer. I'm trying to keep my price around 1-3k and mileage is preferred under 200k. So the ads I have looked at the mileage is usually around 150k. What should I look for when I go to look at a 2nd gen and what repairs should I expect @ 150-200K miles?

I'm leaning towards getting the V8 over the V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought my 2000 XLS 4x4 with 146K miles for $2500 a month ago, so I'd think you should be able to find a similar deal. Mine has the 4.0L OHV, which may not have as much power, but my neighbor (a Ford mechanic) has a '99 with the same engine and said it's far more reliable than the SOHC. I would have loved to have gotten the 5.0L, as I had that engine in my '95 full-size Bronco, and it was absolutely bulletproof...maybe a little underpowered, but I never did any mods, either.

Not sure what to tell you to watch for...but good luck!

Rust. Rust. Rust.

Did I mention rust?

Listen to the trans. Abuse it well while testing the vehicle. Push it through all the modes like it were your enemy.

If you're after 5.0 engine I really have no insight to offer - these are supposed to be the most reliable ones - but usual check for funny noises and leaks should still apply...

Happy hunting.

Go for the 5.0, if you can afford the gas. I love mine and though I've bought my second, the first is still going strong. Plus, dealers are anxious to get v8 exploers off the lots, as well as private individuals, because of the cost of gas. I bought my second at a dealership who had taken it in trade, when I got there it said $7200 on the window, and I drove it away for $5000.

I would try to find a 99-01 5.0 Limited or Eddie. If you could come up with a little more cash, say around 3k-4k range, you can get a lower mileage Explorer in better condition.
I picked up my 01 Limited with 100k miles, new tires and brakes, side air bags and no rust for 4K. Five years from now and 40k miles later it will still be worth around 3K+ :)

Here's a recent thread talking about the 2nd gen 5.0: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310798

The only complaint I have is the electrical problems and the rust in the rear window channel/pillar (the fixed windows on the rear doors.) Check all the doors and make sure the dome light works as well as the power locks. Check to make sure both the heat and cold air works. It's not uncommon for the blend door (temp selection) to stick and only get one temp on the heater.

I got my 96 5.0 AWD Explorer almost a year ago. I got it for $3,800 with 109,000 miles. I had to get new leaf spring shackles because the vehicle spent the first two years of its life up north in Indiana and the salt from the roads ate the shackles. I also had to get a new catalytic converter, EGR valve, and spark plugs and wires. Also my mechanic and Ford dealer tell me that I will need to replace upper and lower ball joints within a year or two. Other little things I had to fix were the sunroof shade, replace a small patch of leather on the driver's seat, replace nearly every light bulb, recover the center console, and have the carpet removed and pressure washed because of pet odor. Now it's in better condition than most other second gens I've seen. It DRINKS gas though, Not as bad as my mom's Mercedes CLS, but you'll be spending a lot at the pump. Here is mine:

car002.jpg

Back