Buying a 2nd gen 5.0

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Gonna be replacing my 1996 ohv with a 5.0 in the next few weeks. My questions are what should i be looking for?? Any problems or issues to watch out for?? It will be another 2wd so i can build a LT kit for it. The ones ive looked at all have around 100k miles on them which is alot less than the 160k i have on mine. Also do the 5.0's comes with 4.10's or no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so are you replacing the whole vehicle or just doing a swap on your current ride?

My Moutaineer AWD came with 3.73 gears but were avaialble with 4.10 gears.

Moutaineergreen has a set of 4.10's with carrier for sale.

You will have no problems with the engine or tranny. I have 193k on mine and still runs strong.

The first mod you will want to do is Torque Monster headers so that engine can breathe.

so are you replacing the whole vehicle or just doing a swap on your current ride?

Replacing whole vehicle. Gonna take some of the key parts off my 96 (lift spindles, stereo,optima and a few other things).

My Moutaineer AWD came with 3.73 gears but were avaialble with 4.10 gears.

Moutaineergreen has a set of 4.10's with carrier for sale.

You will have no problems with the engine or tranny. I have 193k on mine and still runs strong.

The first mod you will want to do is Torque Monster headers so that engine can breathe.

Thanks dan, im gonna search for one with 4.10's. Or i could just swap axles with my 96 since it has 4.10's. Yeah i was looking at the TM headers, im not sure what my first mods will be though. It will be a 2wd too.

Since you will be selling your old one it would be free :thumbsup:

What size of tire are you going to be running? The torque of the 5.0 will help with larger tires.

If you will be running 33's then you will want 4.10 gears.

Since you will be selling your old one it would be free :thumbsup:

What size of tire are you going to be running? The torque of the 5.0 will help with larger tires.

If you will be running 33's then you will want 4.10 gears.

Yeah ill be running 33's on the new rig, the same ones i have on mine now. The lack of power with the ohv 4.0 is really bad, even with 4.10's. But the main reason for doing it is i want the stronger trans for any desert raing i plan on doing.

Thanks froader. The kit on taknitezx2's is pretty much what im having built for me. I was gonna put it on my current ex, but the power and trans are leaving something to be desired. Its been a hell of a truck and given me no real problems up to this point, but its time to move on to something a little better and build up on that.

After doing some quick shopping yesterday i discovered something. Mounties are far cheaper than explorers. I found at least 5 mounty's under 100k for less than 6k$. The explorers of the same year, mileage, and engine type were going for 2-3k more.

You would think it would be the other way around :confused:

< Of course I'm biased :D

That's going to be hard to come by.

I know they offered 2wd Mounties but they are rare. The cloth interior makes it hard as well.

there are actually alot of 2wd ones in socal. If i have to get leather i will, and if i have to switch rear ends with the one i have in my 96 i will. But id rather not have to do any of that lol. If i have to go lower than a 98 i will also.

early 5.0s have problems with the blend door and stock headers etc, they also have the squeeky torsion bar keyway insulators etc etc

early 5.0s have problems with the blend door and stock headers etc, they also have the squeeky torsion bar keyway insulators etc etc

Thats good info to know. Headers would get replaced with TM's as soon as i got it. Wont have torsion bars for more than a few months so thats all good. The blend door thing could suck really badly lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back