• Register Today It's free!

Power adders...

Tony91Sport

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to put some more power into my truck. i have a 91 Sport, Heres a list of things i have:

Conical K&N Filter
Flowmaster muffler
MSD ignition
Accel Wires
Bosch plugs
Comp Cam
Bored .40 over
Ported and polished heads

Where do i go from here? Fuel? Should i do injectors? What about bigger MAF? Bigger TB? Im trying to get more horses, without using and forced induction (unless a thunderbird SC supercharger would work) or nitrous. I just dont know where to go from here....

Tony 91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're on the right track. I would get some headers, and maybe a less restrictive cat. I would then go for air intake (i.e. MAF and throttle body). If you still want more (which you always will) get the injectors.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

If you realy want to add some power, drop in a V8 and modify it. Dead Link Removed

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

Im trying to stay v6 here, im mean ive already whipped a 99 v6 stang, now im going for the v8. I know i wont touch a z28 without some chargin. I want to be able to laugh at them when i tell em they lost to a v6 sport utility vehicle.

Tony 91 Sport

Im not sure how much this will help however a smaller tire should make you a bit quicker.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Tony,

Did you get your pushrod problems worked out?

I would second the suggestion of headers and less restrictive cat. from Dignan, and then the TB and MAF

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

Hey Aj91sport, how much did it cost you to get your engine bored?

I am just starting the work on my motor and I am wondering how much power you gained with the mods you have done?

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT
Many Mod's
http://members.efortress.com/swankmi/

Get yourself a set of 4.10's and stay with your stock 235/75's. That way, you'll get some good acceleration, but if you ever want to get bigger tires, you'll already have the gears. You might as well put in some sort of traction device, because you're going to have trouble with tirespin on the takeoff after you put all that stuff on there.

Nate my total engine removal/remanufacture cost was $3800 with a pretty good port job, a 500 dollar one. As for my cam, i didnt get it worked out, i need to know what needs to be changed in relation to the cam, because the pushrods arent cuttin it. (bye the way Steve, did you ever put that cam in your Navajo?) I need to have another talk with Sven at Vanir. Hopefully he can help.

As for the gears, according to the stamp on my rear end, i have limited slip 3.73's. Not bad. However the guy at the local 4wd shop told me there would be an "unoticable difference" by switching to 4.10's, anyone can step in and tell me different Dead Link Removed

Im not sure how much power i have now, but i can tell you i didnt lose to a v6 mustang before my engine work, so ill let ya know the race results when i get everything running, which is my first priority.

Tony 91 Sport

P.S. I would like to see others explorers/navajos, and share pics of mine.

I've been playing with the idea of putting a V8 in my 92, what kinda mods do I need to do to the frame and the engine bay? I don't think the 302 will fit, or will it? I know I'll have to put in new rear end gears, and a new drive shaft for the trany... What else is there to do?

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's
My Baby!!

Do you have an adjustable Fuel pressure regulator? If not that is a must on a modified fuel injection system. Obviusly you need a gauge to go with it.

The second thing that I would do is definately get exhaust, a TB and a MAF meter. That $500 you spent on headwork really is going to show its worth until you open up the rest of the intake and exhaust path.

As for the gears, I had a 92' LX 5.0 that was running low 12's and I thought that since it was coming through the traps at almost 7000 I would be better off with 3.73's.......wrong! It felt like I was pulling a trailer after I changed. However, It did turn higher MPH after the change (slower ET). I liked the 4.10s a lot better because they really made the car FEEL strong but the ASSonometer does sometimes lie! I guess its really up to you and what you are looking for. If you are a traffic light drag racer you'll never beat a set of big gears!!!!!!

Good Luck

------------------
Rick Reynolds

91' Navajo - Stock.....not for long
67' Mustang - 25 psi Procharger, etc......
95' Integra - Hey, It's the wife's and I married into it. ;-)

Which is better for a street Explorer? Stock 3.73's or 4.10? I wanna beat the Z28!!! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

Get some headders for it, the only ones i can find are ceramic coated, they are a bit pricey, but that and dual exhaust put on your truck should help out a bit. If you want to get crazy buy a supercharger, or see if you can somehow strap ram air on it with the basic fuel injection.

Back