• Register Today It's free!

Power Antenna won't go down

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Ok now the power antenna won't go down on the EB. I hear it moving,, but the antenna not movie with it. What could be the problem? ANything need to be replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace the antenna. Probably the nylon toothed strip broke.

Originally posted by Lifted95X
Replace the antenna. Probably the nylon toothed strip broke.
Lifted95X is correct, but the part you want to replace is the antenna "mast." Just clarifying that a little.

Thanks a bunch. Is this part can only be bought at the ford dealership?

and is that part "MAST" can that be purchase seperate and not buy the whole antenna kit?

Thanks again,

Look on ebay. They have plenty of them for sale for like $20 plus shipping. That's a whole lot better than getting it from the dealer.

Have you cleaned the mast and then sprayed every joint with WD-40? Also, if you can hear that 'click click' when the motor is trying to go down it means the nylon guide is off. Before you replace it, clean the mast and push it down, pull it up to make sure that there isn't grit causing it to bind. Then, once its good and clean and lubed up, turn the car on and let the antenna motor finish. Then, have someone turn the truck off and when the motor starts to move, simply push down on the antenna at the same speed as the motor would pull it down. I have done this many times on Hondas to save replacing the mast. If it doesn't go down i'd bet there is just grit along the joints.

And if this doesn't work, you're not out any $$$ and you've confirmed that you need a new antenna. So its win win

How do I remove the black antenna base on a '98 explorer (the piece on top of the fender) so I can replace the antenna mast? I don't yet have a Haynes or shop manual, but it seems like something I can do without one...

-Mike

I decided to take mine apart when it broke. The plastic strip was broken in half. I cleaned it up and melted the ends together. I had to clean up the excess plastic but it works great now.

Replacing the mast is no big deal. The hardest part is pulling out the plastic inner fender to get to the motor so you can get the broken pieces of the geared nylon cord out. Putting a new mast in is a breeze, just put the cord down shaft and turn of the radio to suck it down then put the mounting screws back in. The mast by itself is about $28 depending on what dealership you go to. Mine took about an hour to an hour and half. And if you break the black trim piece that goes around the base you can just stick it back on with double sided trim adhesive like what you would use for badging and emblems.

Just finished replacing mine - it wasn't that hard, but I did need to take out the motor, open it and remove the broken cord from inside.
FWIW, the black trim piece is removed by squeezing it together until the tabs on far side (opposite of you) are free.

The whole thing took about an hour.

Welcome to the boards perryatstate! I'm assuming you go to State?? I go there too.

Got mine at fordpartsnetwork cant remember the costs. Just know that it was cheaper than the local dealer and I didnt see anything good on ebay.
Yeah i broke the black plastic thing too. Used black silicone and covered the space where the tab used to be and let it glue together.

Back