• Register Today It's free!

Power seat install question

bmonahan

Reaction score
City, State
Marysville, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I just received my 2000 Mountaineer seats for my '94 explorer. My current seats are not powered. I see that the Mountaineer seats have a plug where power would go. What will be the best way to hook these up? Do I cut the plug off? How do I figure out the which wire goes to what without having to buy a manual for the Mountaineer? Or am I making this out to be complicated and that there is only ground and power? Oh, also, the Mountaineer seats say "airbag" on the side, I am guessing that this will just be non-functional in the '94.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will probably have to cut the plug off and ground 1 wire and supply power to the other but if it has side airbags there should be 2 plugs so be carefull you dont put power to the wrong one.

everything that has to do with air bags is bright yellow..just so u know now =)

Power coming into the seats is simply a power and a ground wire. Look for the small grey connector with 2 pins. Cut it off, ground the ground wire accordingly and run the power wire to a switched 12v wire.

Put some tape over the air bag connector.
The ignitors should be well discharged but you know, CYA.

Back