• Register Today It's free!

Power steering help

fiftyfeetup

Reaction score
City, State
clarion, pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
there are alot of threads on here regarding replacing all the steering components, especially the pump, and the steering is still very stiff.

I have replaced my pump and all the moving components up front and I'm running synthetic fluid now, but the steering is still stiff at low rpms. If I rev up the engine it gets easier but it can't be the pump because it is brand new and this has been happening to several other people on here.

I have turned the wheel back and forth with the power steering reservoir cap off with until no more bubbles formed and I have been driving the explorer daily with the stiff power steering, I really find it hard to believe the problem is anything but air in the lines but that just isn't getting it out. Has anyone managed to solve this problem by doing anything other than replacing the components, fluid, and turning the wheel back and forth?

now it works for about 30 seconds, and then it gets stiff. I have been turning it off with the wheel turned fully in hopes that any air bubbles will rise up out of the steering gear.

a few things i would look at:

steering knuckle? i doubt its causing your problem but check it anyways just to be safe

check the pressure line and return hose for clogs, leaks, cracks, and make sure the pulley is aligned with everything else

If anyone else has this problem, it was the steering gear. There was a small leak on the drivers side, too small to notice. I have not fixed it, I just added lucas power steering additive. if my steering gets stiff I turn the wheel from lock to lock, and then just bounce it off the drivers side lock for a minute or so. It works good enough for daily driving, If offroading I can only go about an hour before the power steering quits working and then I just do the quick fix again. Sometimes it helps to get the air out by bleeding some fluid from the lines with the engine running.

Back