Power Steering leak after 2 replaced pumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering leak after 2 replaced pumps

grihn

Reaction score
City, State
Leavenworth KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Okay...so I've replaced the power steering pump twice now in my Explorer ('91 XLT, 2wd). However, it still leaks severely. After I put the second pump in, the leak seemed to stop for a bit, so I was convinced that the first replacement pump I had was just bad (they are remanufactured pumps after all). But, it's started leaking again, and before I take the pump out and go get another replacement I wanted to see if there was anything else I should check...I've also replaced both lines going between the pump and the steering box, but I've not done anything with the steering box itself. I can't visibly see any leaks with the vehicle running and someone turning the wheels lock-to-lock, and there's a significant amount of fluid on the bottom of the pump housing, so if it were squirting out of the steering box with enough pressure to get up there, I would have thought I'd seen it. Although technically I can just keep adding fluid, I really don't want to because the mess it leaves on the garage floor and driveway annoys the heck out of me. I guess another option would be to just remove the pump all together and not have power steering, though that's not really desired. I've heard all over the place that early 90's Ford power steering pumps just suck, but has anyone had this much trouble with theirs, and have you found a replacement pump that's worth a damn? The one's I've been using are from O'Reilly Auto (I think they have a 2 year warranty).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I once replaced my steering pump and had a problem with the compression fitting it would not seal. It kept leaking around the threads could not get it to stop leaking. I could not find a new fitting that would work finally went to the junk yard pulled a used fitting off another ford sedan that used the same pump.

Yep, I would be suspicious that the flare on the new hose is bad.

It's pretty common.

It is also possible to over tighten flare fittings and crack the flare.

Do NOT use Teflon tape or any other sealant on flare fittings. Just say'n... . .;)

Teflon tape can help slow a leak but you should just replace the hose if it's truly leaking at the hose. The o-ring in my hose was leaking and the teflon tape slowed the leak but didn't stop it. It could even block the line or get into the pump so it's not recommended. But, in an emergency, you could.

there are two seals that come with a new pump one is rubber one looks like a flat washer but is teflon your supposed to soak them in hot water and prestreatch them i didnt get to the ones on the steering box itself that is a gentle job with a crows foot to unscrew the shaped ends of those lines i would think they dont have them but if there anyting like the upper PS hose i might do the same thing ....

let me know what happens down there in the steering box i want to find out if there any common blockages ive been changing out the dirty type F after a new PS install but wondering if the box itself is hiding a blockage and increasing the pressure on the system becouse a new unit dosnt get quiet there is still growls from the PS unit

Back