power steering leak

thewishkah

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
Well I think its time to replace my PS box , I have had a leak for about 2 years now and my mechanic told me then it needed to be replaced in order to stop the leak for good. Well in the past few weeks I have had a spot on the ground everytime I came out of the house to go somewhere.

The fluid is leaking but not very fast I guess. I syphoned out all my old fluid last time when he told me about this and I filled with new fluid and syphoned again I repeated this till the fluid was pretty clean and not so brown, I then added that power steering stop leak stuff which worked pretty well I was drip free just untill recently. My question is should I break down and replace it( best I can tell it is a b*@!h to replace it) or should I just do what I did last time and see what happens?

I would not keep adding stop leak fluids. You are risking damaging the pump and the rack. Replacing the steering box isn't that bad, you just need some big wrenches and some muscle. I did my '92 a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $150 (exchange) for the box from autozone. Also, mine leaking slightly for years, and then the seal blew completely out, and was not driveable.

I fixed my leaking pitman-arm seal last weekend
Few hours to take the box out and replace the oil and dust seal and it doesn't leak a drop anymore
Used to carry a few quarts of ps fluid with me coz it leaked that much and suddenly it emptied the whole pump in one night so it was time for a fix
The pitman seal replacement kit was only $16 at O'reilly's
The hardest part was prolly to get the pitman-arm off , but with a pitman-arm puller ($9) and a big hammer it took less time then i thought

now to clean up a year of ps oil leaking in the garage

Back