• Register Today It's free!

Power steering replacement

2Trux

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited V8 4X4
Hey all, my steering leaks out of one side of the rack. I am planning on replacing the system. I am planning on buying a new rack, pump and pressure hose. This is on an '05 V8 model.
This looks to be a real pain because of the limited space to work. Has anyone done this before and do you have any tips. Do I need to remove the radiator, wheels, fender wells, etc.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only changed the rack (steering gear) on mine when I found out that it was leaking. The lucas power steering fix only lasted 2+ yrs, eventually the power steering pump will need to be changed later (maybe at 180k)

You need a buddy to help re-install the steering rod back in place and a bungee cord to tie the steering wheel in place. The steering pump can be replaced without removing the radiator, the clutch fan needs to be removed. Space is tight.

Thanks for the info. Other than the fan and shroud nothing else needs to be removed?

you need to remove power steering pump reservoir out of the way and some brackets that holds the hoses and reservoir. Need to borrow a pulley puller/installer tool for the pump and pick for the teflon o-ring.

Need to borrow a pulley puller/installer tool for the pump and pick for the teflon o-ring.
Where is this Teflon o-ring located? I am planning on buying a pump with the pulley already installed.

Back