2002 v8 XLT, help removing the power steering rack and pinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 v8 XLT, help removing the power steering rack and pinion

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I am in the middle of changing out the power steering system on my 2002 v8. I have the pump out, I have the oil filter adapter off ( I am replacing the gasket), I have the power steering cooler off, I have all the hoses off of the rack, and I have the outer tie rod ends removed. I have the 2 bolts removed from the PS rack frame bracket and I have the steering knuckle detached with the steering wheel tied off. The rack is just floating around in there now and I just can't figure how to get it out of there.

I saw a video for an earlier model and they slid the rack to the passengers side and then could work the drivers side over the frame and out the front from underneath. That doesn't work, or at least I can't figure out how. I can't get it out the bottom either. It looks like if I took off the front of the drivers side lower control arm I might be able to get it out that way but I'm not even sure how to do that. I don't have a socket that is large enough to fit over the nut. I think the largest I have is 24mm and that isn't close.

Do I need to take of the front of the driver side lower control arm?
If so, what size socket do I need?
Can I remove the front bolt from the lower control arm with the arm supported by a jack or do I need a spring compressor, etc?
Won't the back bolt be damaged if the front drops down too far?

I don't have air tools and I don't have a garage, so I am doing this in my driveway with a jack and jack stands.

LMHmedchem

I was able to get the rack out yesterday. I tried for quite a while to get it out from underneath, but it just doesn't seem like this is possible.

I was able to remove the front bolt from the drivers side lower control arm and get it out that way. I was going to unfasten the bolt for the strut assembly to take some pressure off of the control arm, but of course the nut retainer has rusted away. I was able to turn the nut some, but then it started to round off and I had to leave it. I will need a large bolt extractor socket to get that off and replace it.

It was difficult to pry down the front of the control arm enough to get the rack out. It went down some easily, but I needed another inch or so and it took over an hour to get that done. I suspect that I was fighting the strut some after the first 2 inches or so. The only good place to put the pry bar was right in the opening where the rack needed to come out. I tried to pry down the arm and then wedge in a wood block to keep it open. This sort of worked. It also would have helped to have someone with me to operate the pry bar while I wrangled with the rack. At any rate, I did get it out, though I expect similar problems getting the new one in.

If I was doing this again, I would put a 1/2 drive extension in the hole where the control arm bolt came out and put the pry bar on the frame cross brace. Then I would pry down on the extension. I was not able to do that because I had one of my jack stands too far out on the cross brace for there to be a place to put the pry bar. In hindsight, it would have been quicker to re-do my jack stands than keep fighting with it.

LMHmedchem

I was able to get the rack out yesterday. I tried for quite a while to get it out from underneath, but it just doesn't seem like this is possible.

I was able to remove the front bolt from the drivers side lower control arm and get it out that way. I was going to unfasten the bolt for the strut assembly to take some pressure off of the control arm, but of course the nut retainer has rusted away. I was able to turn the nut some, but then it started to round off and I had to leave it. I will need a large bolt extractor socket to get that off and replace it.

It was difficult to pry down the front of the control arm enough to get the rack out. It went down some easily, but I needed another inch or so and it took over an hour to get that done. I suspect that I was fighting the strut some after the first 2 inches or so. The only good place to put the pry bar was right in the opening where the rack needed to come out. I tried to pry down the arm and then wedge in a wood block to keep it open. This sort of worked. It also would have helped to have someone with me to operate the pry bar while I wrangled with the rack. At any rate, I did get it out, though I expect similar problems getting the new one in.

If I was doing this again, I would put a 1/2 drive extension in the hole where the control arm bolt came out and put the pry bar on the frame cross brace. Then I would pry down on the extension. I was not able to do that because I had one of my jack stands too far out on the cross brace for there to be a place to put the pry bar. In hindsight, it would have been quicker to re-do my jack stands than keep fighting with it.

LMHmedchem
This helped, thanks for updating when you were finished

Back