Power Steering whine and bubbly fluid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering whine and bubbly fluid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where's the drain line to empty the fluid out?

So I drained the fluid, and put back in Type F ATF, as recommened in the manual. Still wines so I'm thinking it's the pump going bad. How long before the pump fails, AND if it fails, what will happen? Will it cease the pully the belt's on damaging other things? Or will I simply loose power assist when it fails not damaging anything else. In other words, if I drive it like this, will it do any damage if I wait till it goes kaput?
Thanks guys! Posts much appreciated!

pugsy said:
So I drained the fluid, and put back in Type F ATF, as recommened in the manual. Still wines so I'm thinking it's the pump going bad. How long before the pump fails, AND if it fails, what will happen? Will it cease the pully the belt's on damaging other things? Or will I simply loose power assist when it fails not damaging anything else. In other words, if I drive it like this, will it do any damage if I wait till it goes kaput?
Thanks guys! Posts much appreciated!

About the worst that can happen is that you loose power assist at a moment when you really need it. If that happens, you could have an accident.

Also, if the pump locks up, you will loose the belt, your cooling, alternator, and air conditioning. You will also likely loose the pulley on the steering pump (it is sort of a plastic/fiber part) but that is the least of your worries as a new one is under $10.

Before the pump locks up you will begin sending metal dust through your steering system, causing additional wear on the steering gearbox. I just changed one for that reason.

It will likely run for quite a while and steadily get worse. You have to decide at which point "worse" is bad enough. Unless money is a huge factor, I'd just change it. You can do it yourself. It's not a huge repair. The most difficult part is pulling the pulley off of the pump so you can get at the bolts that hold it in place. You need a special tool for that -- one that you can rent/borrow at any auto parts place like Autozone.

Hey all.

I have a pump that just started leaking ATF today. I saw some on the pitman arm. Im assuming its coming from the pitman arm seal in the steering box.

Two questions;

My pump whines a little at idle and alot when i turn the wheels when the car is stationary or moving slowly. Its been doing this the entire time i've owned it(about a year or so) with no problems. Steering isnt hard and is rather easy and loose. Is this a problem?

Second, is how do you remove the seals from the pitman arm location on the steering box?

Thanks Y'all

When the pump failed on my 92 it started leaking at the front bearing, with fluid running out of the pump down onto the steering box. I got a rebuilt pump at Autozone for about $48 (with core return). Definitely get the Autozone tools. The job is impossible without them. With the tools, its not bad at all.

Bob

Back