Power window and 4WD issues. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power window and 4WD issues.

well lazyman... lazzman... :) just replacing parts is the "hard way" to solve problems. Get a meter and check things in and around the accessory delay relay which is your likely trouble area. The relay has to be operated for things that you are seeing not working.... that's your clue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not so much Laziness as ignorance- electrical is definately not my specialty.

I definately agree with the relay issue.

Where is the accessory delay relay on a '98, I could not find it in the owners guide diagram?

The power window Switch?

Would that effect the 4wd lights and other door?

I can pull the door panel and check it out, but it is both doors and the moon roof that will not operate. If it were just the one door I would be more inclined to check the swithc

Not so much Laziness as ignorance- electrical is definately not my specialty.

I definately agree with the relay issue.

Where is the accessory delay relay on a '98, I could not find it in the owners guide diagram?

"search" my friend... "search"... they are many posts... and note: this is a 1995-2001 ex forum so it is quite possible that any location mentioned for any year is probably valid for your year... maybe... but if it isn't, it will take you a second to verify by looking... "hint"... under your dash.

Ok, I will look around but I do need some guidance here.

What exactly am I looking for under the Dash? What doe it look like?

I did a search and the information that came up was that 1998 models do not have the accessory delay it is controlled by the GEM Module.

I replaced that with one I bought on ebay, wonder if that one could be bad also?

???

I cannot find this relay box under the driver side dash? What am I looking for?

I found nothing that looked like a relay box or fuse box.

Did a search for this and came up with nothing, I know this has been a big issue with the X and many have replaced this relay.

Checked around some more and confirmed that the only thing that is not working are the power windows, Moon Roof and 4wd High. The dash light indicator will not even come on when 4wd high is selected.

Has to be a ground issue somewhere- 4x4 low and high flashing, replaced GEM module but that was not the problem.

Need some direction here to get this sorted :p:

4wd high and low lights flash simply to indicate that the computer has decided that there is a malfunction somewhere and it should therefore not engage 4wd. You say that 4wd High is not functioning. I would bet that 4wd low also does not function. The multiple seemingly unrelated failures does point to a computer module of some type or a major relay. Without sophisticated diagnostic equipement, I would suggest making a complete list of all malfunctioning accesories and then tracing their wiring routes on a diagrahm. See where they all, or most intersect, and that's likely your problem.
If the only common part is the GEM, I doubt the second one was bad also but maybe. Trans range selector switch is often the cause of the 4wd lights flashing. Incompatible sensor inputs to a computer (ie. GEM) can cause all sorts of bizzare actions or even outputs from the computer. Without diagnostics equipment, prepare to spend alot of time tracing this problem. There won't be a simple answer. If you do find the solution, please don't forget to post how you fixed it.

Its is unlikely an actual problem with anything to do with the 4wd. The problem is lack of voltage going to a "few places" and ultimately NOT showing up at the "torgue on demand" solenoid which is causing the "flash".

It does go into 4wd drive low, I can hear the motor clunk into it.

I guess this was a bigger problem than I first thought

Will keep posted with the details.

After I changed out the GEM the lights are still blinking at times. I was able to take it for a decent test drive the other day and the windows started working again- but the 4x4 light was still flashing and it would not go into 4x4high.

So I guess you could say the problem is know intermittent with the Windows and Moon Roof.

It seems like there is a short somewhere rather than a bad relay?

I just got mine out of the shop and found out the fuse box under the hood was bad, move the fuse box around and play with the wires going in to it and c if that solves ur issue !! Mine went down and would not come up and that was the problem.

Ok, I will check that fuse box, but I think I may have isolated the issue.

I read on a old post about this problem that it could be a wire under the drivers seat that operates the windows and 4wd. A few days ago I pulled that wire out and jiggled it around a bit and when I started the truck I had my windows back and 4wd was working.

It is a thick wire going into a harness under the driver seat with other wires groups spliced into it, there must be a short in it somewhere. I also noticed that this wire or cluster of wires can get pinched by the movement of the power seat, getting jammed between the seat track.

Well it started again today with the windows not working and 4x4 lights flashing. I reached under the seat and grabbed that group of wires and jiggled it a bit. I then started the truck again and the windows and 4wd high worked again.

I am going to do further research and see if I can find a broken or bare wire.

Back