• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Problem

osiris_9510

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
My driver power window won't go up. It did this before but I eventually got it to go back up. Now it won't, its stuck down.

All other windows work fine. I noticed that when I was putting it down, I had to hit the *up* button, and it would go down just a little bit. It took about 20 times hitting the *up* button for it to go all the way down. The *down* key just didn't work at all when trying to put it down.

Now its all the way down. Also, when I hit the *up* button to make it go back up, I hear a "click-click" coming from inside the dash. Is this the sound of a relay?

I don't believe its the window motor because it had the same problem before and when it did work again, the window motor worked just fine.

I must add that all other windows work *from* the drivers master switch panel. Only the drivers window is effected. When it did this before, I'd just let it sit for a while, come back later, and it would come back up the first time.

Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. It turned out to be the switch. Apparently its a common problem on that model.

but

But if it were the switch, why am I hearing the relay in the dash?

Dunno. But i do know we stopped short of taking the motor out on my friends because we could still hear it clicking. He took it to the stealer and they said it was the actual window switch he was touching with his finger. Apparently they go out a lot according to the mech. It was a pretty cheap fix i think too. Like $30 or $40, which is good for the stealer:confused:

Back