prefered clutch? LUK or Centerforce? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

prefered clutch? LUK or Centerforce?

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
wudup

the transmission is finally coming off, after a crazed imploding on the freeway. Funny enough, most salvage yards want more for their junk then a tranny shop wants for their refurbished transmission. Anyway, a re-man'd trans sounds delicious.

I got the exhaust bolts taken care off. the tcase shiftmotor plug and speedo gear are off and I'm still working on the hydraulic line with a brass fitting. Honestly i don't really know how bad off the tranny is but I'm convinced that i need a new one. It doesn't matter what gear i am in or if I'm in neutral, if the clutch is engaged it grinds. Somehow the shifter got bent out of sync too since its ****ed/stuck to the left but still in the neutral middle.

Since i gotta replace the tranny, I'm going to go ahead and replace the clutch assembly. Coincidently i had just bought a new truetrac to put in this weekend, but my Transmission imploded the day after my Truetrac arrived.

What do you think is the more 'out-performing?' clutch... LUK Gold or Centerforce Dual Friction? Ive always used LUK every time my M5R1 ate a clutch. What is the general consensus of the Centerforce 'Dual Friction?'

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No experience as of yet with the centerforce, but most guys who run them seem to be satisfied with performance. Never heard any neg. remarks about the CF clutches.
As for Luk Gold series...I have one in my M5OD right now, and have had nothin but problems with it. I had the heavy duty Luk installed about a year ago after my original with 150k finally went out. Shifts have always been rough, and at about 10,000 on the Luk the slave went...(under warranty) but a big hassle, and to be leaking with only 10k on the slave is not a good indication of superior performance. It's got about 13-14k on it now(out of warranty), and I can feel the clutch slipping on excel in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Doubt it will last much longer. I'll def never go Luk again...probably give the centerforce a try. JM2cents

Never used the Luk one. Don't know much about it. I used the centerforce. I can tell you for the Explorer application, it's just a regular clutch. It's not dual friction, & doesn't have the counter weights for balance like most of the Centerforce clutch's use. Doesn't take away anything in perforamnce though. It's just how the X is. It's better then a stock one.

LUK uses the stock clutches & modifies them to different specs.
They are generally not good for performance apps. IIRC, the Gold series is only rated at a 10% more holding power than stock.

For a good clutch at a very good price give these guys a call.
http://www.baycityclutch.com/products/
They can make one for what you need.( Or atleats they used to).
I used them in my DSM days & they would make a clutch that equalled the ACT 2600 for about 1/2 the price.
I dont know of anyone disappointed with them yet.

Dont use LUK if you can help it.
I have had some work fine and others not very well at all.

No. Not sure what the 4wd parts sites is saying. Makes no sense. The centerforce clutch comes with the disk, pressure plate, & alignment tool.

The slave cylinder is a seprate part. I recomemnd getting that from Ford direct. It might be a bit more $$, but it lasts compared to an after market one. Also the throw out bearing is part of the slave.

You can get clutches in sets or parts. Because what if the disc goes bad & the PP is fine( or visa versa<sp?). Would you want to spend $300 on a PP that isnt needed?
What i'm sure they mean is that the Throwout bearing doesnt come with it. Call & ask them.
If it doesnt come with the disc for that price get the set from here.( Or call Bay city clutch).

CFDF clutch set

I just got off the phone with Christian at 4wheelparts & he said that he WILL price match the clutch set on the autopartswherehouse site. I told him that they offered free shipping also & he said he CAN match it.
Just make sure you remind him that autpparts has the PP & DISC for $307 shiped NOT just the PP.
His number is 1-800-337-9005 ext 5121

EDIT.. I DID mention that this was on explorerforums.com.

Dude, Espresso, you rock. thanks man

Back