problem with 4 wheel drive...please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problem with 4 wheel drive...please help

darkneck

Reaction score
City, State
long island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
The symptoms are grinding while in 4wd and some clunking, especially when turning. I read many, many posts and I did some investigating. I put the truck on a lift with all four tires off the ground, started it and put it in 4wd. Well, all the wheels were turning except the front driver side wheel. I gave it some gas and it turned only a little then stopped. To eliminate the possibility of the hubs, I removed both front wheels and hubs and did the same test. Now the driverside axel was turning, but it was struggling...sort of bouncing up and down a bit. I turned the steering wheel far left and it the driverside axel stopped completely. I then tried turning it by hand, but it was fairly tight explaining the clunking when I turn. I also heard some grinding coming from inside what I guess is the front differential (the "black box" where the two axels go into). The front driveshaft coming from the transfer case was spinning strong so the transfer case is fine. It looks like something is wrong inside the differential. Anyone have any experience with this?

Did you check for slop in the U joints?

On that year explorer I suggest switching to manual hubs as the auto hubs simply wear out.

Back