• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case?

pittsbfan2000

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 99 Explorer XLT, 170k miles - Automatic Transmission, I have a switch on the dash for 4wd hi, Low and normal.

Last week I was getting on the Interstate, as i was accelerating A loud Clanking noise started, sounds like it's coming from the driverside front axel area. I have jacked the car up, taken the tire off and I do not see any visable damage to anything. when I rotate the tire I do hear a clanking sound every half turn or so if I can make it spin fast enough. I did have the transmission rebuilt about 70k ago.

Would the transfer case be making a clanking sound like this? I can be going 1mph and it will still make the noise. Is this something that can be easily replaced or fixed?

If I removed the front drive axel, could the truck be driven normally?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks

The clanking could be a number of things that are very difficult to troubleshoot via the 'net, but you absolutely cannot remove the drive axle to troubleshoot it. The outer CV joint holds your bearing together on that side. Without it, the hub assembly will walk right out of the bearing, eventually sending your wheel down the road without you.

Here's som emore questions to help us troubleshoot it:

Does the volume get any louder or quieter when you turn in one direction or the other?
Does the pitch or frequency of the noise change at all with direction or speed?
Does it sound like it happens exactly twice per wheel revolution, or is it a higher multiple of the wheel revolutions?

-Joe

Back