problem with my hella 500's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problem with my hella 500's

ok heres the deal. yesterday i put my fogs on and only one bulb went on. so i went to pepboys and got a funky 100w h3 bulb. when i came home i was quick to find that the fuse had blown also on the fogs. so i replaced both the fuse and the bad bulb and turned them on and pop! the fuse blew again! after 3 more fuses i covered all the metal in the new bulb housing (the connector is different) with electrical tape and turned them on and they worked. so im driving somwhere and i left them on and i get out of my car and take a look and what do ya know? theyre both out again :( so now i dont know whats wrong. i think i should try a hella replacement instead of pep boys brand? i checked all my grounds and everything and it all seems in shape.also....

on the casing of the fog it has 100W on the plastic but its crossed out (so im guessing that means dont use 100w bulbs) but when i got my truck both lights had 100w bulbs and im still running them. should i only use 55w? ive never had a problem with them untill today. suggestions? thanks alot

I think you are blowing the fuse because of the 100w bulbs. I had read somewhere that you can only go up to 85w on the 500's. I still have the 55w bulbs and I like them, but they are the driving lights.
Plus the electrical tape could have melted in the housing and it could just be short.

i will open it up tomrrow and if so ill go back to getting real replacements. also i was running the 100w bulbs for a year with no problems. just a thought. now i have a quick newbish question....

i do have foglights right?? they project a practically solid white box about 4 feet infront of the truck and nothing after that. im just checking to make sure im not blinding every driver infront of me.:confused:

Back