• Register Today It's free!

Problem with Superlift SOA.

Mat R

Reaction score
City, State
Woodinville(and all of western)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'85
Well, I'm really hoping that someone can help me here because I've been banging my head against the wall :banghead: and I still have nothing.

I welded the new superlift spring perch to the axle as recommended, and for whatever reason the u bolt nearest to the differential on both sides doesn't fit up against the leafs because of the bend of the shock mount on the new spring perch.

I considered the hammer method :hammer: to get enough room, but beyond the fact that it is thick thick steel, I'd then run the risk of screwing up the lower shock mount(which is the part causing the problem).

I thought about just cutting some extra steel I have laying around to be a little longer that way the U-bolts have enough space so both are perpendicular, but then the insde U-bolt would not be up against the leaf, and shifting could occur.... But then again maybe not. I dunno because the bolt that goes through the leafs is in the bracket, and I was thinking I could really tighten em' down.

I thought I could maybe do some creative U-bolt bending???

So anyone got any ideas? I'm exasperated :frustrate: and any help would be very appreciated.

Thank You,
Mat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what to say Matt. I have had no problems with my Superlift spring perches and I have had them on and off a couple of times. Mine are not welded (yet) so I wonder if that may be part of the problem. Did you test fit it with the springs and shocks mounted before welding? Are your spring perches mounted on the correct side? How about a picture? If you can post one that may help us figure out what is wrong.

Mat
When I installed my SOA I too couldn't get the U-bolts to fit into the spring/shock plates. Trust me, you can't bend the U-bolts. The problem is not the perches.
I realized that I needed to turn the plate 90 degrees as the U-bolts fit ok one direction but not the other. I might have turned them and switched them to the other side of the vehicle, I don't exactly remember.
They will work if you get them turned the correct way.

Everything's been great ever since.

Hmmmm....

Well, I did fit the spring perch on and stuff before I welded it, but of course I didn't look at EXACT points such as will the U-bolts fit, because the new brackets really seemed to fit well on the axle.

I actually have already tried moving the plates around. I switched sides so that the place where the old shock mount was on the stock plate goes in the same direction as the shock mount on the new bracket. I'm almost positive that positions the plate so that it has the most width for the U-bolt to attach....yet it didn't

Thanks Again,
Mat

Mat,
You may need to flip the plates over, you don't want them facing the same direction as the old shock tab faced, they should now face to the front/center of the vehicle.
First thing to do is test the u-bolts in the plates and see which way they will fit into the holes, and work from there.

The onlt thing with that is that even if it does work, the inside u bolt won't be up against the leaf spring. That lower shock mount doesn't allow for enough room so I would have at least a quarter inch between the U-bolt and the leaf spring. Couldn't that cause problems?

Mat

If you are using the original plates you will have to cut off the old shock mount and then flip them over. You have to install it with the shock mount(now removed) pointing to the rear and to the outside. If you look at this picture you can see what I mean.
Dead Link Removed

[Edited by Paul Gagnon on 08-15-2000 at 10:35 AM]

Mat, Mine also didn't snug into the spring very well either, but when I tightened them up they pulled in pretty good.

Paul, Thanks for the pict, its good to see everything goes together eventually, since I have parts laying all over my driveway :).... I noticed you have larger bumpstops, I assume those aren't the ones that came with the kit, since all it includes is drop downs. I thought that using longer bumpstops wasn't recommended because it limits flex? Also, why didn't you weld your brackets down? I've heard that if you don't you run a serious risk of axle wrap and/or hop.

Gary, it's good to hear that someone had the same problem I'm having. I think I'll try just fitting it in there and tightening it down a lot! You haven't had any problems with leaf spring shifting even though the fit isn't perfect have you?

Thanks
Mat

Mat, I've not had any problem with the springs shifting. Just make sure you tighten them up real tight, make sure you cross tighten them and repeat each nut several times. I tightened mine up to at least 80 lbs.
I've run this set up on some tuff trails including the Miller Jeep Trail in S. Cal three times, nothing but good results.

All right, I'll try that when I get home at 3:00 and I'll post the results right after. If I'm lucky tonight, I'll be able to grace you guys with a picture of my finished truck(I hope)

Thanks Again.
Mat

I didn't weld them because... well I just didn't. :) I will be welding them soon. As far as the bumpstops they are 4" bumpstops but I will be removing them soon or at the very least cutting them in half. They do limit the travel and I want to have as much as possible. At the time that I bought them I didn't know any better. ;)

Gary,
1000 thank yous. You were exactly right on what I was doing. I assumed that because the U-bolt went in easily one way that it didn't the other. I didn't think to try moving it around...I owe you big time.

Paul,
Thank you for the picture, it helped me to see what you guys were talking about.

And here is the finished product, A very high up ford explorer, that is in desperate need of a front end alignment. http://www.matnchad.com/liftdone.jpg

Thanks Again Guys!

Mat,
Excellent, and it looks great too.
It's the same color as my 93 Sport.
Did you put in the extended radius arms? If so the alignment should go real smooth, if not they'll need to put in some caster/camber adjusters.

I didn't buy Supelifts extended radius arms because I have a extra pair of stock ones that I'm going to try fabbing into extended ones with heim joints at the end for max flex and the best geometry.

Mat

Back