Programmers, K&N's, TB mods, Magnaflow MPG improvements? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programmers, K&N's, TB mods, Magnaflow MPG improvements?

dwink

Reaction score
City, State
Reno
Year, Model & Trim Level
I know that several of the modded 06+ trucks here posted results shortly after installing some of all of the above with regard to MPG gains, but I am looking for some updated info for those of you that have put some miles on your trucks now.

I am looking for other ways to justify spending money on the Ex (outside of the fact that I will love the sound and performance).

I do tow a trailer with my explorer in the summer, can't really say that I need any more power to do so, but...

I am interested in the larger TB also, I know a couple of people have them from Zabtech, how do you like it?

Thanks on a snowy day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thi is just my take on things, but when I bought my K&N system, I asked the motorhead at the performance shop about a TB and he said it was unnecessary to upgrade it on my '06. For reasons I cannot recollect now, he said it would not enhance the performance at all. I have yet to convince the 'better' half that the magnaflow is an important addition to the truck so I can't help you there.

Hi i just joined up. I have a KKN filter open element filter a magnaflow exhaust and an SCT tuned for 93 octane. The truck is pretty quiet on a highway, and idling, but really snarls when you put your foot in it. It really is why you have a truck in the first place. BTW my other car is a 07 GT Mustang turned into a supercharged

whoops, must have hit something anyway, turned into a supercharged replica of a shelby gt 500. Sorry for the double post.

I just got about 17.5mpg with my mods driving about 80mph. Pretty much all flat freeway. I did have some cargo with me... some suitcases, the wife, and 2 labradors.

Hmmm I get that around town with no mods????? 18 in town 22 highway.
I suspect that although mods technically make the car more economical, with the car being faster and sounding better you have a tendancy to use the loud pedal more!!!! Correct????

I suspect that although mods technically make the car more economical, with the car being faster and sounding better you have a tendancy to use the loud pedal more!!!! Correct????

My guess is that in Ft. Lauderdale you have a 2WD? That woud explain it if so.

Well, I can honestly say that I was attempting to get the best milage possible... and that milage was achived about 80% on cruise control. Milage seems to drop off pretty fast though at higher rates of speed. I have had it in the 20's before going around 70mph with no cargo. As for my in-town, I get just over 14. But all I do is short runs, lots of lights... and I tend to leave my car running while I eat lunch for 20min. lol

Fuel economy is a huge subject nowadays. Driving habits, fuel type, geographical location,etc. all affect fuel economy. When mods are added combined with enthusiastic driving fuel economy will suffer. When mods are properly executed and driving habits are good mileage should go up. But only to a certain point. Big injectors,forced induction,etc-all bets are off. Keep modding!;)

Mods better

Yes I'm in Ft Lauderdale and it is a 4x2. A 4x4 in FL is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I'm with you with the mod versus MPG, unless you start REALLY modding you should see better mpg. I'm pretty amazed that I often get over 20 mpg as a standard car and I'm not easy on the right peddle either. I will be doing a few mods soon but for now I have my new house keeping me busy!!!!!!!

Great chatting with you all, some great knowledge on here.

My review on the KKM intake:

I was alittle skeptical with a KKM intake but decided to try it out based on the positive reviews. Installation took me about 30 minutes. The stock intake is a PITA to get out but everything else is easy. Afterwards, all I can say is, "wow." I was averaging about 12.6-12.9 in the city. After installing the KKM, reseting the computer and putting over 700 miles. I'm now averaging 14.8mpg in the city!! Not sure about the seat of the pants meter, but it does sound better with the foot on it.

I've tried several brands of intake kits on my previous rigs (99 F250 and 02 Silverado) and never came close with the gains like I did with my Ex and KKM. I'm still waiting for Fedex to deliver my Gibson catback and post results later.

Hi i just joined up. I have a KKN filter open element filter a magnaflow exhaust and an SCT tuned for 93 octane. The truck is pretty quiet on a highway, and idling, but really snarls when you put your foot in it. It really is why you have a truck in the first place. BTW my other car is a 07 GT Mustang turned into a supercharged

the sct programmers are good theres a guy thats doing the ford lightnings at ivy tech in evansville in where i got to school and he does a good job with them, there was one that ran today 503 hp strong and consistant i might ask him if he can do custome tunning for explorers but they are paying him a grand ($1000) for the tunning but on avg. each person is getting about 60 real hp gains

the sct programmers are good theres a guy thats doing the ford lightnings at ivy tech in evansville in where i got to school and he does a good job with them, there was one that ran today 503 hp strong and consistant i might ask him if he can do custome tunning for explorers but they are paying him a grand ($1000) for the tunning but on avg. each person is getting about 60 real hp gains

I am enjoying the truck on 87 performance these days as premium is just too much money, its still loud and fun due to the maganaflow

I tune these combos all the time. 503 hp in a Lightning definately isn't a stock Lightning much less one with a stock blower. I would be careful if the bottom end is stock as it will spit it out. 60hp gains? Not common even on a boosted vehicle (unless it is a Shelby). More common gains on a n/a vehicle is 10-20hp and boosted 20-40 with just a tune.-j

Magnaflo stainless steel, K&N cold air, Jet Mass Air and Performance Moduel, 20" rims with Yokohama Prada Spec- X 275-45-20. and Energy front sway bar and linkbushings, HID's. The Energy Suspension bushings made a big improvement . Engine mod's woke up the 4.6 3valve and highway milage is about 21mpg at 65mph.

Magnaflo stainless steel, K&N cold air, Jet Mass Air and Performance Moduel, 20" rims with Yokohama Prada Spec- X 275-45-20. and Energy front sway bar and linkbushings, HID's. The Energy Suspension bushings made a big improvement . Engine mod's woke up the 4.6 3valve and highway milage is about 21mpg at 65mph.

only thing i could think that'd really decrease your mileage are the 20" rims. wider tire and heavier rims is probably lessening the mielage some due to the increae in rolling resistance and extra weight.

Back