• Register Today It's free!

Programming a 3rd key 4th gen

Fbird

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I have 2 working keys and would like to program 2 more. I know the issues when you only have 1 (my f150..argh) but all the "programming info" i am finding are related to 3rd gen or 5th gen? Does the 4th gen program the same way?

1. Insert an existing working key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

3. Remove the existing working key and, within five seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) then back OFF.

4. Remove second working key and insert the new key before ten seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it on for one second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for three seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

Use Forscan and follow inner key reprograming instructions.

I have 2 working keys and would like to program 2 more. I know the issues when you only have 1 (my f150..argh) but all the "programming info" i am finding are related to 3rd gen or 5th gen? Does the 4th gen program the same way?

1. Insert an existing working key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

3. Remove the existing working key and, within five seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) then back OFF.

4. Remove second working key and insert the new key before ten seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it on for one second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for three seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
This video goes over the programming nuances to the method you listed. It is for a Mariner but the process is the same for Explorers and many other Ford and Mercury vehicles. Also, this method can be completed much, much faster and easier than dragging out a computer, OBD dongle and using Forscan.

Thanks! Yeah had to jump thru hoops with my 01 F150 when I bought it ...only got 1 KEY. Live and learn!!

Back