Project Expo SAS long travel? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Expo SAS long travel?

Scrapped the 3 link plan, going with radius arms and 18 inch coilovers. 1 1/4 ruffstuff heims frame end, 2" DOM links and ruffstuff bushings axle end. 7/8" heims and bushings for the y links.
vTmTIj1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna move the radiator to the rear to protect it since the roofs getting mostly cut off anyways. The goal is to drive this POS to Alaska in june, wish me luck :laugh:
hRTHedr.jpg

Basically the inspiration for the build. If anyone has some good reading on the steering box and radius arm geometry they'd like to link, I'd greatly appreciate it.
h3xDQRQ.jpg

18" coil overs are real long. When I did my SAS, I spent a lot of time looking at shock lengths of other peoples builds. Most go with 14" max to keep them under the hood. If you go longer, you will either have a very tall truck, no compression, or you will need to go through the hood. There are also mechanical limits with straight axles; steering, drag link, etc.

Yeah the coilovers are going to stick up out of the hood, sheet metal really isn't my thing anyways. I plan to strap it before anything starts to bind in the steering and I'll just run it like that until I build a ford 60 with hydro steering.

Got her up on jack stands. Took 2 days to clean up the shop before I started. Like my custom jack stand-stands? :hammer:
r5LSdkx.jpg

The fact that half the stuff wasn't there already made taking most of the front suspension out easy.
KwjsqNt.jpg

Cleaning off the frame rails wasn't easy even with a plasma. Went through about 30 cutoff wheels, 2 harbor freight angle grinders, and 5 flap disks. Started working on the rear brakes only to find out the 14 bolt I bought was one of the less desirable later year versions. :banghead:
Thankfully they're plenty common and I already found the right year axle on Craigslist for $200. I'm going to finish cutting off the brackets on the Dana 60 so I can get it all mocked up this weekend and start measuring for links and burning brackets in.

kT91scZ.jpg

4J60XCH.jpg

Drove down to FOA the other day to grab some coilovers and got all the mounts for them burned in, the front end will be sitting on its own weight here pretty soon.

Back