• Register Today It's free!

PTU leaks after 4wd engages

coroguide

Reaction score
City, State
West Carrollton,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Limited
2013 Limited has had oil leaking from passenger side half shaft since new. Seal was replaced at 12k miles, PTU replaced at 60k mi. Seems to only leak after driving in snow and using Snow setting on 4wd switch. Is this “normal” or just the result of a bad design?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are threads on PTU leaks/issues but I don't recall one exactly like what you are experiencing so I doubt it can be classified as a "bad design" or "normal".

Peter

How bad of a leak?

To me, it doesn't make sense that it would only leak after driving in snow with Snow mode active. The front wheels are always "driven" regardless of the Terrain Management setting. If it's leaking in that mode, it's likely leaking in other modes.

Also, you state that it's had this issue since new and you're at more than 60k miles and still have this issue? The seal was replaced at 12k miles, was it still leaking after that repair?

2013 Limited has had oil leaking from passenger side half shaft since new. Seal was replaced at 12k miles, PTU replaced at 60k mi. Seems to only leak after driving in snow and using Snow setting on 4wd switch. Is this “normal” or just the result of a bad design?
Any update on this issue?

Peter

Peter
No leaks recently. However have not been out in snow or ice.
I fully agree with you regarding the fact that front wheel drive is the norm. I don’t understand why it would only leak when in all wheel mode.
The amount it leaks is always minimal. Maybe a teaspoonful at most.

Peter
Vehicle is at 70k mi. now. Leaking at rear output shaft seal. This is the second PTU (original died at 60k mi). This time the fluid is clear and a lot more leaking out than before. Due to go in to get $463 worth of seal replacement. Hope to keep the X for a few more years so will change PTU fluid at 10k mi intervals. Next to go is the water pump so may invest in that swap before it craps out. Love the vehicle and it's paid for so plan on driving it till death (either mine or it's).

Back