Pulled CE Codes - Now, what needs replaced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulled CE Codes - Now, what needs replaced?

skderen

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hey guys and gals,
Still doing the major "tax refund yearly overhaul", ha ha, and I pulled the codes just now on my '94 XLT because my CE light came on yesterday.

BTW, thanks so much to Mr. Shorty and Doonze and other contributors for the awesome "paperclip method" code pulling threads. Worked like a charm, first try too!

So I have the codes, I know what they mean, but I don't REALLY know what they mean, you know?

KOEO -
11 - System OK
CM -
124 - Throttle pressure voltage higher than expected, fuel control
214 - Error in CID circuit or signal - ignition
KOER -
111 - System OK
NO other codes

So, the 214 I think I might understand. I had to replace my starter solenoid about a month or so ago, and I don't think the stored codes have been cleared since then since I haven't done any manual clearing or had the battery unhooked at all. Unless that starter solenoid code would have cleared itself and this is now a new ignition problem?

As for 124, I too am one of the board readers who is having problems with my MPGs dropping. I was reading another thread concerning this, and I'm wondering if I need a new FPR. Any other thoughts?

Excuse the car ignorance, I'm just learning.
And thanks for the help!
Sarah:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CM124 is a fault in the throttle position sensor circuit. 1st thing I'd probably do is test the TPS. It is a basic potentiometer. If you hook up an ohmmeter across the "wiper" lead and either fixed lead, you should see the resistance change smoothly across the throttles range of motion. If you see any dead, flat, or other "weird" spots, the TPS is probably worn.

Don't forget to look for loose connections between the TPS and the PCM.

There are other possiblities, but I'd check those first.

CM214 points to a problem in the camshaft position (CAMP) sensor circuit. I'm not good with this one, but I know this one has been discussed numerous times here.

Based on those two codes alone, I don't immediately suspect a problem with the FPR, but it is real easy to test. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the fuel pressure behaves as it should. There's a "fuel pressure test" mini diary in the Under the Hood forum that should help.

I just put in new plugs and wires about two weeks ago - could this be related to the CID issue? The engine never misses though. I also have two valves that tick until she gets warmed up for a minute or two, working on getting that resolved with some new valve covers/small oil leak fixes.

That censor is NOT cheap if I have to replace it new, I'll of course try to search the junkyards first, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to find first-gen Xs around here.

Nevermind, crankshaft sensor is expensive as hell new, camshaft sensor, not too bad and maybe worth saving a trip to the junkyard.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've gotten the TPS Code to drop, and spent a chunk of this afternoon trying to tackle the CPS code.

I have read through the other threads concerning the CPS and how to test it (have a Haynes manual too for that), but is there some trick to it or an easy way to do it WITHOUT taking off the upper intake manifold? I am to the point in my "Explorer career" where I can do a decent amount of stuff on it myself, but taking the engine apart is totally intimidating me, plus it would definitely be tool shopping time, I think. I really want to be able to get this stupid CEL off and get my girl to pass inspection without being afraid of breaking the most important part of the car.
Thanks again.

Back