Pulling the front axle couple questions..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling the front axle couple questions.....

jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
Im thinking about pulling the front axle off because I need to change the front differential cover and obviously flush the fluid at the same time. Looking at the manual it seems pretty simple. My question is should I do anything while I have the front axle off? Anything to look out for or any tips will help. Im going to be doing a video how to on it so all the small details will help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious: whats wrong with the original front cover?

I can't think of anything, just be sure to watch out for the breather tube, it can be a pain in the butt, and make sure you get it back on before you put the diff all the way back up and it's pretty difficult to get to it after. It wouldn't hurt to extend the breather to somewhere under the hood either.

Curious: whats wrong with the original front cover?

Its VERY rusty. Its a 96 and only has 86,000 original miles. It sat.... a lot....

I can't think of anything, just be sure to watch out for the breather tube, it can be a pain in the butt, and make sure you get it back on before you put the diff all the way back up and it's pretty difficult to get to it after. It wouldn't hurt to extend the breather to somewhere under the hood either.

Alright, will definitely do that. Might reroute the rear diff breather while im at it. Any other ideas?

1: Don't drive it. (Obviously!)
2: Pull the vacuum lines and electrical connector off the center-axle disconnect. BE GENTLE!!!
3: Make sure you can get the fill plug out BEFORE you drain it. Some heat-wrench may be necessary to soften the red loctite often used on the plugs.

Good luck!

96 V8 does not have CAD (center axle disconnect)

is your front diff leaking fluid? this is a BIG job and alot of work just to pretty up a rusty diff cover

You risk destroying your tie rod ends, cv axles, and more just to get rid of some rust?

You can change the fluid without removing the entire diff

both sides will need to be broken down to the cv axle before you can get the diff center section out of the truck, this is a full day project if you know what you are doing, it could be HUGE if you dont, if you break a bolt, or cant get a CV shaft out, etc

Just be aware of what you are getting into thats all

Missed the fact that it's a V-8.... good catch.

dude I can pull my truck apart and put it back together in minutes compared to the first time, everything is loose/new now. I know what 8 sockets I will need to have before I even lay down on the ground and get under the truck......

it took me 3 days to do my first clutch, with help from a friend! now I can do it in 4 hours by myself with hand tools...... thats not the point.
He better plan a whole day, probably weekend if this is the first time just a single CV shaft spring clip ( you know the circlue spring that retains the CV shaft into the diff) can take you all day to get out on an unfamiliar truck... just replacing a CV shaft on a 02 Dodge Dakota ended up taking us TWO WEEKS, thanks Dodge.... 3 different CV's availal for the same truck after 2 TSB's and the drivers side CV never did come out of the old diff, which we ended up having to replace......

my point is when you start to tear into something, and you are hitting a learnging curvbe (job you have not tackled before) you better research and plan ALOT or you can find no way to get to work on Monday morning, look at JT, simple oil change = nightmare

96 V8 does not have CAD (center axle disconnect)

is your front diff leaking fluid? this is a BIG job and alot of work just to pretty up a rusty diff cover

You risk destroying your tie rod ends, cv axles, and more just to get rid of some rust?

You can change the fluid without removing the entire diff

both sides will need to be broken down to the cv axle before you can get the diff center section out of the truck, this is a full day project if you know what you are doing, it could be HUGE if you dont, if you break a bolt, or cant get a CV shaft out, etc

Just be aware of what you are getting into thats all

The diff cover is leaking (very very slowly). There are huge saltine cracker sized pieces of rust flaking off of the differential cover.

I dont want to change the whole differential. Just the diff cover. For some reason the cover is rusted far worse than the differential its self. (I can get pics if needed)

dude I can pull my truck apart and put it back together in minutes compared to the first time, everything is loose/new now. I know what 8 sockets I will need to have before I even lay down on the ground and get under the truck......

it took me 3 days to do my first clutch, with help from a friend! now I can do it in 4 hours by myself with hand tools...... thats not the point.
He better plan a whole day, probably weekend if this is the first time just a single CV shaft spring clip ( you know the circlue spring that retains the CV shaft into the diff) can take you all day to get out on an unfamiliar truck... just replacing a CV shaft on a 02 Dodge Dakota ended up taking us TWO WEEKS, thanks Dodge.... 3 different CV's availal for the same truck after 2 TSB's and the drivers side CV never did come out of the old diff, which we ended up having to replace......

my point is when you start to tear into something, and you are hitting a learnging curvbe (job you have not tackled before) you better research and plan ALOT or you can find no way to get to work on Monday morning, look at JT, simple oil change = nightmare

This vehicle is not my DD, it is a project truck that I have all ripped apart shackles are rusted through as well and im waiting on parts. Its not going anywhere anytime soon. I dont plan to register or insure it until mid summer. Maybe even wait till fall.

I have done shocks, balljoints, tierod ends, brakes. The only parts im not familiar with are the CV axles and the axle its self.

Is there any way to just loosen the axle enough to get the cover off and on without tearing the whole front end apart? If not no biggy, just wondering.

Thank you soooo much for the advice and help. I appreciate all I can get. This is my preparation and research for something ive never done before. If needed I have reinforcements I can call in. I have a body repair man and a ford transmission mechanic that I can call for help if needed. So if I get in over my head I can ask them for help.

the reason the cover is rusting only is because it is stamped steel, the rest of the differential housing is aluminum cast = no rust!!
Cv shafts pop right out once you have the knuckles off/serperated

then its just the front D shaft, vetn line, and 4 bolts holding the entire assembly in its EASY at that point to drop, the hard part (can be hard, can be done in 30 minutes) is getting down to it

the reason the cover is rusting only is because it is stamped steel, the rest of the differential housing is aluminum cast = no rust!!
Cv shafts pop right out once you have the knuckles off/serperated

then its just the front D shaft, vetn line, and 4 bolts holding the entire assembly in its EASY at that point to drop, the hard part (can be hard, can be done in 30 minutes) is getting down to it

Thats for taking the differential out or moving the front axle? (steel beem under the engine)

Back